Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > RC Scale Aircraft
Reload this Page >

Pfalz DIII resources -- Photos, Drawings, Plans, etc.

Community
Search
Notices
RC Scale Aircraft Discuss rc scale aircraft here (for giant scale see category above)

Pfalz DIII resources -- Photos, Drawings, Plans, etc.

Search this Thread

Old 09-06-2008, 02:15 PM
szig

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default RE: Pfalz DIII resources Photos, Drawings, Plans, etc.

Count me in.
Thanks
Old 09-06-2008, 03:27 PM
Erich_Prinz

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Seth,

Would it be too much to ask for all 3 formats?

Erich
Old 09-06-2008, 06:33 PM
Sethhunter

No problem. Still, I'd like to wait until I'm sure it flies!! I'll start a DXV thread so you get a sense of what I'm working on - hopefully I'll get some constructive criticism (no doubt knowing the crew on RCU!!)
Old 09-11-2008, 07:48 PM
Erich_Prinz

Seth,

Embed the link to the new DXV thread when you create it.

Then post some pics; this vicarious hobby living at it's best!

Thanks,

Erich
Old 09-20-2008, 05:27 AM
Sethhunter

Hi Erich,
In case you didn't catch the post, we're talking about the Pfalz DXV over at http://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/m_7953499/tm.htm
Seth
Old 09-20-2008, 01:32 PM
Rhubeus

Just thought I would drop in to let you know that I am still around. It has been sometime since my last visit here. Not much major to report on construction on my 72% full size Pfalz DIII right now. Most of my effort lately has been to correct the shape of the fuselage around the lower wing root, proper size and shape of the upper wing cabane struts, and proportions of the rudder.
Jim G.
Old 09-20-2008, 01:54 PM
Sethhunter

Ambitious project! Glad to hear (well, read) it's coming along... post a few pictures if you get a chance - Love to see it.
Old 01-17-2009, 12:15 PM
Rhubeus

Hello once again.. I haven't been able to do a lot on my Pfalz D3 project lately because of the unual cold here in Iowa, but some progess has been made none the less. I've been looking for as many pictures of the Pfalz as I can turn up on the web and comparing them to my D3. Finally can up with a reasonable shape on the rudder. And continue to adjust the front of fuselage. The prop spinner diameter will be reduced by an inch to 11 inches and the nose profile reshaped.
Also working on control placement and structure reinforcement drawings in and around the cockpit. Once it starts warming up, I'll get back to work for real in my unheated garage. I'm still thinking on an engine... Maybe a modified Model A engine like in a Pietenpol. Inline,reasonable weight and about the right hp...
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Lj22494.jpg
Views:	165
Size:	65.7 KB
ID:	1112700   Click image for larger version

Name:	Xs58766.jpg
Views:	109
Size:	65.4 KB
ID:	1112701  
Old 01-17-2009, 03:24 PM
geezeraviation
My Feedback: (3)

There's a Fok DVII nearly ready to fly at Kingsbury and they used a Ranger engine for want of a Mercedes, I'm no expert on what the original looked like but thier engine looks as if it belongs there, and and having been fortunate enough to have been present during a test run I'd say it certainly seems to have enough power. I dont remember, is your Pfalz full scale or is it reduced a bit. At full scale a Model A engine may be a bit short on horses. Also the Ranger is air cooled which would cut down on plumbing a lot. Doc.
Old 01-17-2009, 03:48 PM
TFF

I know a guy with 2 Petes one with a Model A and the other with a Kinner. The A powered one is no barnburner and that is with only one wing you have two. I would say 300 ft per min. climb. There is a guy in Australia who is making a Albatros D5a and is powering it with a 292 Chevy. I dont think it is enough for a 100% Albi. but scaled down might be perfect.
Old 01-17-2009, 04:04 PM
geezeraviation

Jim G. I scrolled back and see it's at 72% so that little ford might be just right. Doc
Old 01-18-2009, 07:46 AM
Sethhunter

Is the photo a picture of a mold for laminating the fuselage, or is it the fuselage itself?

Thanks for the references to Kingsbury - visited the website; looks like a great place.
Old 01-18-2009, 08:35 AM
geezeraviation

Seth, it's a fantastic place, a great place to go and hang out on a Saturday if you dont mind being drafted and pressed into service helping move airplanes or airplane parts around. The Tri city flyers fly there and hold a lot of events there. There's a Dawn Patrol event there in June each year and that's how I discovered the place. I've seen the Dr.I fly and lucked into a couple of rides in the Meyers OTW, I think it's ten years older than I am, a thrill to say the least. Doc
Old 01-30-2009, 07:41 PM
Rhubeus

Yes it is 72% size of the original, that is why I have considered a Model A engine. I've also been looking at a Honda engine. but nothing is firm yet
as to a particular engine.
The fuselage is a mock up or plug. I am using it to arrive at proper contours and dimensions. The final version is going to be made out of sheet metal aluminum. Strength around the cockpit is a priority for safety. I have a length of 14' X 4" square steel tubing for a basic fixture to build the fuselage on.
Currently awaiting for warm weather.
Jim G.
Old 02-02-2009, 11:42 AM
ZoomZoom-RCU

Wow, Rhubeus. Cool project! Since you've already gone to all the trouble of making a real nice plug, you oughta just make molds from it and then you can reproduce fiberglass fuselages like there's no tomorrow! By the way, where does one come across Model A Ford engines these days? There's gotta be a modern inline alternative, and it surely would have more power, which is always a good thing on a draggy biplane. Keep us posted as to your progress!

ZZ.
Old 02-02-2009, 12:02 PM
FokkerAce

Hi Guys.

You probably know this, but just to point out:

FAA and the likes have very specific regs on what you can put for a fan in a plane.

Ford A's have been OK'd, and a few others.

Inline A's have the cylinders uncluttered and the valves showing, which is probably the atteraction for stand-in Mercedes.....which are even harder to find.

Most car motors are built too heavy, or have too many accessories that aren't needed in an aircraft.

FA[8D]
Old 02-03-2009, 12:05 PM
Rhubeus

One reason I am considering a Honda engine is that it was used successfully in a 50% P-51 years ago. Unfortunitly it was destroyed during flight testing as a result of aileron flutter at high speed...
I do want to thank this forum for motivating me to continue with this project. I thoughly enjoy all the pictures and dicussion of your problems encountered during the construction of your large scale planes...
Jim G.
Old 07-17-2009, 12:17 PM
Rhubeus

It's been awhile since I've seen any posts here. Is anyone flying their Pfalz's lately? I would love to hear of your experiences and see more pictures or vids of them.
Meanwhile, I have done little on my project. Have little time or extra money right now...
Jim G.
Old 07-17-2009, 02:02 PM
ARUP

This book is excellent! Buy it! I own it. Datafiles Publication for this bird are excellent, also. Buy them! The Profile Publications booklet is worth obtaining though the colour schemes are suspect. I have a Combat Models 1/6 Pfalz D-III kit I purchased many years ago. I think the company was based in Scotland. It is a nice kit and comes with a metal spinner. I would like to build it but have some other projects to knock out before starting it. This bird is one of my 'faves' (aren't they all!). There is a plan by Spratt(?) for an electric or wet powered craft that is absolutely gorgeous! This is one of the plans that Arizona Model Crafters uses to make their kits. Get that plan and enlarge to 1/4 scale if that's the size you want as opposed to its 1/6 size. I think the fella that drew the Proctor Albatros plans is an avid Pfalz fan but don't know if he has any offerings. Fair Winds!
Old 03-23-2010, 12:09 AM
Rhubeus

Well warm weather has returned once more and I have drug out the sanding block again. I would like to finish shaping the nose of the pfalz soon and get it epoxy/glassed....finally.

Jim G.

Name:	Hf98001.jpg
Views:	209
Size:	160.3 KB
ID:	1403170  
Old 03-23-2010, 05:44 AM
Mode One

It is really cool how this thread keeps "Popping" back up! It was gone since July of 2009 this last time. But, Rhubeus found it again and brought her back!
Old 03-23-2010, 06:24 AM
abufletcher

ORIGINAL: ARUP
There is a plan by Spratt(?) for an electric or wet powered craft that is absolutely gorgeous! This is one of the plans that Arizona Model Crafters uses to make their kits. Get that plan and enlarge to 1/4 scale if that's the size you want as opposed to its 1/6 size.
The AZM kit is based on a modified very of Tom Polapink's DIII plans. A better set of plans are those by Alan Spievak. Both are 1/6 scale. I have both and the Spievak plans are much better, both in terms of scale accuracy and how to do the details. All this is discussed in some detail early on in this thread.
Old 03-23-2010, 10:32 AM
destrat

abufletcher:

I have both sets of prints also, I built my D-IIIa from Tom P. prints with some mod's and also used the datafile, and book of Pfalz's from Jack Herris, both of which were invaluable! You can see mine on the earlier pages of this thread. Unfortunately it does not exist anymore, a victim of being shot down by another radio turning on.
Old 03-23-2010, 11:19 AM
abufletcher

Yours was a work of art. What a frustrating way to lose it. [:@]
Old 05-23-2010, 02:34 AM
Henner Trabandt

Not a work of art, but a Pfalz!

But first of all, I have to say THANK YOU to Seth Hunter and Abu for this thread, for all the wonderful pics and all the information you are sharing! Without this my Pfalz project would never have been realized. After half a year of planing, drawing and building I maidened her yerterday! Scale 1/8, electric power (sorry no sound but its the only way to fly in our field in the evening) weight 1600 gramm (3lbs?) Ok, I know the 4056 was carrying a red heart on both sides, but my wife didn´t like this and asked me to paint the pipe-smoking moon on it.

Yours Henner

Name:	Hf99685.jpg
Views:	112
Size:	129.2 KB
ID:	1440533   Click image for larger version

Name:	Zu66160.jpg
Views:	88
Size:	151.2 KB
ID:	1440534   Click image for larger version

Name:	Di99673.jpg
Views:	62
Size:	168.2 KB
ID:	1440535   Click image for larger version

Name:	Au56460.jpg
Views:	88
Size:	24.3 KB
ID:	1440536   Click image for larger version

Name:	Uf50244.jpg
Views:	54
Size:	20.1 KB
ID:	1440537   Click image for larger version

Name:	Mc50385.jpg
Views:	52
Size:	82.7 KB
ID:	1440538  

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.