Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > RC Scale Aircraft
Reload this Page >

Pfalz DIII resources -- Photos, Drawings, Plans, etc.

Community
Search
Notices
RC Scale Aircraft Discuss rc scale aircraft here (for giant scale see category above)

Pfalz DIII resources -- Photos, Drawings, Plans, etc.

Search this Thread

Old 10-09-2007, 10:22 AM
arspievack

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Pfalz DIII resources -- Photos, Drawings, Plans, etc.

tom,
yes i do remeber it and think it did fly and did so well. the cowl looked great. i 'll check my file and see what i can find, i have plans somewhere.
ars
Old 10-09-2007, 10:36 AM
jtisch

ORIGINAL: Sethhunter

Here's a documentation question: Besides WWI Aero #139 and Herris' book, anyone know of any other sources of documentation for the Pfalz DR.I?
One the older issues of "Over the Front"quarterly magazine had a nice article w/photos and a pullout 5-view by Dan-San Abbott of the Pfalz DRI.
Old 10-09-2007, 11:50 AM
Sethhunter

Beautiful model. Wow that's a thin middle wing! Thanks for the references.
Old 10-09-2007, 11:58 AM
tommyp
My Feedback: (1)

Hi Alan,
If you can find more on the old Pfalz triplane model, that would be great. I'd love to see more pictures of it.
By the way, do you still have your old Pfalz? That model is a true classic!

Mode one...yes...here is a link to the forum for WWI Aero:

www.aeroforum.org

Best regards,
Tom Polapink
Old 10-09-2007, 02:07 PM
arspievack

Tom
After well over 350 flights, I came down one AM to fly to find am oil soaked engine compartent on the floorn floor, with emgine lying on the mount, laying with engine weighs, tank, gas all drained, saying, It ' the ent d. Let's call it a day."
By then all the cabane's were soaked and weak, and ready to go.
I''lln look for the "tri".

ars
Old 10-14-2007, 07:38 AM
abufletcher

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Alan, sounds like your model lived a long and happy life! Out of curiousity, if you were going to draw your plans again today, is there anything you'd do differently in terms of scale accuracy?
Old 10-14-2007, 10:11 AM
tommyp
My Feedback: (1)

Hi Alan,
Sorry to hear your Pfalz was a victim of glow fuel, but at least it had a long life.
Best,
Tom
Old 10-14-2007, 12:43 PM
FokkerAce

Ditto to Abu's query.
Have two Pfalz D.III's on the bench, would appreciate any comments to bring the plans up-to-date
[The plans are great for their time!]

FA[8D]
Old 10-15-2007, 05:28 PM
VNulk

Hey Seth,

I just saw the maiden flight on the web, congratulations! Now your work gives you not only a terrific model, but a wonderful RC Scale Plane as well. Now the real fun begins getting used to it in the air. Great job!

Best to you,

Vern
Old 10-17-2007, 01:50 AM
ArdChoile

Seth,

Truly beautiful, just watched the maiden flight. Great to see your progress through from the start to up and flying.

Congrats.

ArdChoile
Old 12-18-2007, 05:04 PM
geezeraviation
My Feedback: (3)

Well, this site has been inactice for about 2 months now and I just found it. I became a member of RCU early in Nov. for an entirely different reason, not really knowing what was here or what it was all about. Maybe I still dont, but I've found some really cool stuff. I also became a member of the WWI Aerodrome at about the same time, I found it accidentally when I Googled Pfalz and followed one of the headers to a site that was having a discussion on plans for the Pfalz DIII/a. Turns out that that thread was also several years old and inactive but I became a member and have been reading a lot of old threads and looking at some builds. I've always thought I built OK lookin airplanes but some of the stuff I've seen makes me think that maybe I'll take up knitting. There're some really eye watering things going on out there. Anyhow I got the hots for a Pfalz DIII, I like the III more than the IIIa for the buried guns, but the IIIa has a sexier stab shape. I dont know what the other differences are yet, I'm a Pfalz rookie, but I'll learn. I've only read the first page of this so far and I'm gonna go back and read it all. A build thread on the Drome forum led me to Glen Torrance and a build on his site led me here, where I discovered this forum then this thread. There's a rumor that GTM may be working on a Pfalz, I e-mailed him with some questions a couple of days ago and haven't heard back yet, I'm excited... I have done the same things a lot of others have done by ordering Wylams drawings and the two Data files, just recenrly, dont have them yet. I am considering getting the drawings from AZM. I built his Lewis gun for my SE 5a and the cockpit kit but they are a challenge to achieve satisfactory results, just found out the drawings are from Polopink Happy landings Doc M.
Old 12-18-2007, 08:59 PM
FokkerAce

Geezer: What scale are you thinking of building?

FA[8D]
Old 12-18-2007, 10:16 PM
Mode One

Geezer, I'm with you, I like the DIII the best, I never liked the rounded lower wing tips of the DIIIa. I've heard that Glen Torrance is contemplating a Pfalz, also! Good luck!
Old 12-18-2007, 10:36 PM
FokkerAce

Well, I've finally got my camera situation settled, and will be building a pair of Pfalz....one to Alan Spievak's plan, and one more scale, but with similar internal structure.

1/6th scale Pfalz D.IIIas

Merry Christmas and Happy Holidays to All!

FA[8D]

Does anyone else want one while I'm cutting???
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Zw69682.jpg
Views:	67
Size:	63.8 KB
ID:	829001   Click image for larger version

Name:	Oj27662.jpg
Views:	70
Size:	70.3 KB
ID:	829002   Click image for larger version

Name:	Ot47464.jpg
Views:	72
Size:	68.0 KB
ID:	829003   Click image for larger version

Name:	Ex69145.jpg
Views:	72
Size:	42.9 KB
ID:	829004  
Old 12-19-2007, 07:22 AM
Sethhunter

Klaus looks eager for you to get to work! Looking forward to the build! Happy Holiday to you as well.
Old 12-19-2007, 05:06 PM
Mode One

Seth, Without going back over 24 pages of information on this subject to find the answer to this question, could you tell me where the plans for your Pfalz came from?

Thanks!

P.S. did you fly the Pfalz a secoind time and how did it go?
Old 12-19-2007, 05:28 PM
Sethhunter

Hi Mode One - I drew the plans in CAD. Unfortunately a computer crash consumed the file. All I had plotted on paper to build from was a set of templates and views. I scaled the details from the docs directly onto the model as I went along, rather than recapture in CAD. No actually I haven't flown the Pfalz again - I spent way too long getting around to installing the nose weight and now the weather's been crumby. In the meantime I built a J10 and I'm starting plans for a Chance Vought VE9 (lots of backup this time!).
Old 12-19-2007, 07:56 PM
geezeraviation

WOW !!! Activity, this is better. What I am aiming for is quarter scale, that's a big Pfalz but my other two WWI aircrapt are in quarter so it just seems like I ought to maintain the same scale. While I'm in awe of Seth's fidelity to the original construction methods, it's beyond me. I managed to read about 6 and a half pages of the thread last night before my face fell on the keyboard from exhaustion, I got past the point where he described how he did the fuselage shells and we'll never know how many brain cells were lost in the confusion. My goal is a scale outline, a detailed cockpit and enough surface detail to make me happy, I'd like to use the upper profile of the scale airfoil and go with a flat or nearly flat bottom. My first scout was a Nieuport 28 from BUSA, I rebuilt the back end of the fuse to make it right, added sheeting behind the cockpit for scale, added all the battens along the front sheeting seams with rivets and screws as required, did the fuel tank panel, and side access panels, the lower nose was reshaped for scale and all the struts, cabane, interplane and landing gear were scaled out as well as a real complicated coil spring affair for the gear and some faux bungees. The camo pattern is politically correct, I modeled Jimmy Meissners # 6144 complete with the Third LIberty Loan poster and Roger Freeman says the colors are close, He's got color swatches from the restoration he did and he's also built a replica 1 to1 scale. The little clamps are on the L.E. of the stab which is airfoiled and sheeted as is the fin and rudder and I gotta tell ya I'm the only one who knows most of that stuff is there. Modeling for GOD is ok but mostly we model for ourselves, we do things like that cause we want to,I'd bet Seth's fuse was done for personal satisfaction. I hope that doesn't make me a modeling heretic cause I do my best to do a good job and try to fly in a scale manner. I've got a bud with a Fok DII and we mock dog fight when we can, it's a hoot and entertaining for the spectators. I'm not in it for competition I go to warbirds and our dawn patrol rally at The Olde Kingsbury Aerodrome and fly for fun and camraderie(thats probably spelled wrong) The CD there is Dean Luckover who I believe does the Dayton show. Happy Landings Yall Doc M. On power, if enough is good, more is better, and too much should be seriously considered
Old 12-19-2007, 08:52 PM
FokkerAce

Doc,
I think AZM has Tom Polopink's 1/5th scale pfalz plans blown up to 1/4 scale...7.5' wing, right?..just find the thread entries where tom's outlines got adjusted. I have his plan too, and was going to blow it up to 1/4, after the two 1/6th scale ones are off the bench. Also blew up Wylam's plan to 1/6th, to adjust Spievak's plan to scale {yea, I know about Wylam's errors, but it's ok to remind me}

FA[8D]
Old 12-19-2007, 08:59 PM
ArdChoile

Great to see the thread awakened again.

Hope everyone enjoys and has a safe holiday season.[8D]

Ard
Old 12-19-2007, 09:27 PM
FlyerJeff
My Feedback: (5)

http://www.amazon.com/Pfalz-Scout-Ac...d_sim_b_img_15

I found this whiile looking for a Sopwithpup.
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Fc90536.jpg
Views:	50
Size:	12.5 KB
ID:	829644  
Old 12-19-2007, 09:40 PM
geezeraviation

Well I've just gotten to the bottom of page seven. Along in the middle about post 160 were a gaggle of photos of Seth's airplane. Seth I hope you dont get tired of me saying how impressed I am with your effort and workmanship. I am sure that the photos of your Pfalz will be as helpful or even more so than the data that I'm gathering to aid my project. I've located a copy of Jack Herris' Pfalz book and have placed it on order. I pretty much think I will also order the Popalink drawings from Jamie, maybe only in 1/6 scale just for reference, we'll see. Happy landings, Doc On power, if enough is good, more is better, and too much should at least bs considered
Old 12-19-2007, 09:46 PM
Mode One

I'm building the Balsa USA Nieuport 28 right now, so the little details your talking about, yep, I know about them! What did you power yours with? Oh, sorry, that's right were talking about Pfalzs, aren't we.

The Pfalz plans for 1/4th scale at AZM are $60+ dollars! That's insaine!
Old 12-19-2007, 09:48 PM
geezeraviation

I have the Osprey Pfalz scout aces book. an interesting read and some nice color plates, wish my datafiles and Wylam drawings would show up. Happy Landings, Doc. On power, if enough is good, more is better, and too much should be seriously considered.
Old 12-19-2007, 09:54 PM
FokkerAce

I agree on that price!!!

My printshop just charged me $32 for 20 sheets of a 1/6th scale plane......1/2 a tree worth of paper!

I'm sure I can get a 120% print of my Polapink plans for alot less than $60!

FA[8D]

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.