Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > RC Scale Aircraft
Reload this Page >

Pfalz DIII resources -- Photos, Drawings, Plans, etc.

Community
Search
Notices
RC Scale Aircraft Discuss rc scale aircraft here (for giant scale see category above)

Pfalz DIII resources -- Photos, Drawings, Plans, etc.

Search this Thread

Old 08-31-2006, 05:23 PM
Sethhunter

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Pfalz DIII resources -- Photos, Drawings, Plans, etc.

Alan - very well said. Couldn't agree with you more. Dai - very sorry if I caused any confusion. I'm sure your plane will look great, be a blast to build and fly. Looking forward to your progress.
Old 08-31-2006, 06:00 PM
Mode One

One resent contributor to this thread is DESTRAT, he built a wonderfull 1/4th scale DIIIa. He sent me photos of the bare bones and his model is fantastic. I went back and saw Destrat (Dan) posted on page 6, here. Dan did live in Minnesota but rcently moved back to the Seattle area. The caliber of Dan's modeling is as good as any I have seen. I think he was in communication with Tom P. during the construction period.

It would be great if he would pipe in here! Dan, you still out there?

Seth, great little note in Model Aviation on your Pfalz's landing gear!
Old 08-31-2006, 07:07 PM
abufletcher

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I agree that Dan's Pfalz DIIIa is (was?) absolutely first class. When I started this thread I hadn't heard of anyone who had done a Pfalz and it's very satisfying to have found all these people with such skills!

BTW, it must be all those cold midwestern and northeastern winters than lead to such outstanding scale models!
Old 09-01-2006, 08:10 AM
arspievack

Dai, I would but my autogragh wouldn't be scale.

TomP, Thanks for your long note. It was fascinating and much appreciated. When Don McGovren told me that my plans were one of the best selling sets they ever offered, I expected to see the sky "black" with Pfalzes flying ovr all day. In fact I never saw a single one at a contest. Your note makes me feel better. Apparently people bought those plans and hung them on the wall either as decoration or like you as a "to do someday" project.
What you did is another form of dedication. Making yourself a promise of what (someday) you'll do for yourself. Just a project of enjoyment and self realization.
Modling does that to us. We see beauty in something and want to be part of it.
I also appreciate your up load of the cover of the Flying Models.
many thanks and best regards
alan
Old 09-01-2006, 08:46 AM
Dai Phan
My Feedback: (2)

ORIGINAL: arspievack

Dai, I would but my autogragh wouldn't be scale.

TomP, Thanks for your long note. It was fascinating and much appreciated. When Don McGovren told me that my plans were one of the best selling sets they ever offered, I expected to see the sky "black" with Pfalzes flying ovr all day. In fact I never saw a single one at a contest. Your note makes me feel better. Apparently people bought those plans and hung them on the wall either as decoration or like you as a "to do someday" project.
What you did is another form of dedication. Making yourself a promise of what (someday) you'll do for yourself. Just a project of enjoyment and self realization.
Modling does that to us. We see beauty in something and want to be part of it.
I also appreciate your up load of the cover of the Flying Models.
many thanks and best regards
alan
What means is that I may be the worls's first publicity built Pfalz from your plan? DP
Old 09-01-2006, 09:26 AM
Reg Hinnant
My Feedback: (9)

Only if you follow his plans exactly, Dai.....! (and a good reason to!)

Alan, Abuf, Seth, the last number of posts show what true gentlemen you all are. Dai is in good company.
My hat is off to you! (That means I bowed, Dai. [sm=regular_smile.gif] ) Or I could give you the thumbs up, while appropriate here, not necessarily appropriate there, wherever that may be!
Old 09-01-2006, 10:05 PM
tommyp
My Feedback: (1)

Hi All,

Sorry if my previous post was a bit long…anyway, it's nice to hear from all of you. Alan, I think you’ll be very pleased to see these:

Ernst Mausolf’s Pfalz

http://i6.photobucket.com/albums/y23...1/PfalzEM1.jpg

http://i6.photobucket.com/albums/y23...1/PfalzEM5.jpg

http://i6.photobucket.com/albums/y23...1/PfalzEM4.jpg

http://i6.photobucket.com/albums/y23...1/PfalzEM3.jpg

http://i6.photobucket.com/albums/y23...1/PfalzEM2.jpg

These are pictures of Ernst Mauslof’s Pfalz D.III, which to the best of my knowledge was built from your plans. It appeared at Rhinebeck sometime in the 1980s, and I think I remember seeing it there for at least two years. I never did see it fly though. He did a beautiful job on it. I was last in touch with Ernst in the early 1990s. He's from Telford, TN. Maybe I should drop him a postcard.

Regarding flat tail surfaces or tapered tail surfaces Dai, I don’t think it matters all that much if yours aren’t exactly like the original unless you are competing at Internats FAI scale level. I don’t think changing any of those shapes will cause the model to fly noticeably differently either. Just get them on straight with the proper incidence set and things should work out fine.

Here are a few scans of my Pfalz tail surfaces made from sheet balsa with dummy ribs on either side. I like building this way because you can build the rudder & elevator and cover them the same night with the help of a little CA. The rudder and elevator have thicker L.E.s than T.E.s, but it is very hard to notice on the finished model.

I included both the 1/4-scale and the 1/5 scale versions here. Looks like I sheeted the fin first on the smaller one, and sheeted the fin last on the bigger one...just goes to show that there really aren't many rules when it comes to building a model. There's more than just one way to get something done.

1/5-scale Pfalz Tail

http://i6.photobucket.com/albums/y23...zTailbones.jpg

http://i6.photobucket.com/albums/y23...lzTailskin.jpg

http://i6.photobucket.com/albums/y23.../Pfalztail.jpg

¼-scale Pfalz Tail

http://i6.photobucket.com/albums/y23...bonesbigTP.jpg

http://i6.photobucket.com/albums/y23...lerudbigTP.jpg

http://i6.photobucket.com/albums/y23...onesbigTP1.jpg

Both my 1/5 and ¼ scale models include the inverted airfoil on the stabilizer. It doesn’t’ seem to create any aerodynamic problems. They both have undercamber in the wings too. The 1/5 scale version steals the airfoil from Dave Platt’s Top-Flite S.E.5a. I knew that airfoil worked and it had undercamber, so that was close enough for me. When I built the ¼-scale version I went right to the actual scale rib shape, and it flies just fine.

Concerning rigging; the rigging on my scale models is all functional, but I set up each model when I build them in such a way that when the turnbuckles are tightened all the way down, the airplane is rigged properly. No guessing or measuring incidence is required during assembly at the field. The worst part is safety wiring the turnbuckles to fly!

Here are a couple of favorite pictures of my Pfalz models taken by Phil Bousquet and Debra Cleghorn:

Polapink 1/5-scale Pfalz in flight (photo: Phil Bousquet)

http://i6.photobucket.com/albums/y23...ylargefile.jpg

Polapink ¼-scale Pfalz in flight (photo: Debra Cleghorn)

http://i6.photobucket.com/albums/y23.../pfalzTGLR.jpg

Alan, I have to say, when I was a kid, you were like a "rock star" of model building to me, so it is really nice to have crossed paths with you now, years down the road.

Best regards,
Tom Polapink

PS : there I go again with another long message!
Old 09-01-2006, 11:07 PM
abufletcher

Man, those in-flight shots are priceless! I can see why this would have been a real contest winner. Thanks for posting these. We really need to have some sort of Pfalz Gallary of Honor.
Old 09-02-2006, 07:08 AM
arspievack

Tom,
The pictures are terrific and your comments much appreciated. I remember when you first appeared at Rhinbeck and I thought this "kid" is going to be a great modeler and that's what happened. Without doubt you have carried the Pfalz legacy to victory. Your models became far better known than mine. So thanks for all of that.
Without doubt you have advanced the art and the interest. Pfalzes uber alles!

Dai listen to this guy (read his notes) his planes fly great.
We Pfalze guys award him the Pflaz Blue Max and promote him to Pfalzmeister.
best regards,
alan
Old 09-02-2006, 06:21 PM
tommyp

Abu & Alan,
Thanks very much for your kind messages! I'm very flattered.
Here are a few pictures of the Pfalz models undergoing destructive load tests on their rudders:

1/5 scale der Marwitz Pfalz
http://i6.photobucket.com/albums/y23...alzTG2002a.jpg

http://i6.photobucket.com/albums/y23...falzflipII.jpg
(didn't have enough elevator to get out of this mess)

1/4- scale Berhold Pfalz
http://i6.photobucket.com/albums/y23...lznoseover.jpg
(not even all of that left aileron could hep this situation)

http://i6.photobucket.com/albums/y23.../pfalzflip.jpg
(just what control inputs should I have made to get out of this attitude?)

I believe that all of these photos came from Jim Reed. At first my 1/5-scale Pfalz was finished in the colors of der Marwitz's aircraft...this is the same model as the one shown earlier finished in the Holtzem colors.

I have to say...these models took lots of abuse from me and stood up to all of it.
Best regards,
Tom Polapink
Old 09-03-2006, 07:28 AM
arspievack

Tom,

oooooohh, I hate when these things happen. Reducing models back into their "kit" form is always painful, but we've all done it.
Very early in my modeling life (around age 13-15), I faced the decsison we all face sometime in life , which is do I want to build a model which will survive my crashes, or one that won't crash? I made the decsison that the former had to be too heavy to fly well, so I went for the light (sometimes too light) better flying type and tried to become a better pilot.

Loved your pictures
Again many thanks
alan
Old 09-03-2006, 09:16 AM
abufletcher

ORIGINAL: arspievack
do I want to build a model which will survive my crashes, or one that won't crash?
I go for "scale survivability" -- that is, I don't expect my model to fare any better in a crash than the original aircraft. And I'm always amazed to see in period photos just how "crumpable" these WWI era aircraft were. Also I try to adopt the philosophical attitude that the model once built is already history.
Old 09-03-2006, 07:47 PM
Sethhunter

All,
The history and models on this thread is amazing. Tom, the pictures of your planes are beautiful, although the lumpy landings are toe curling! Is your Pfalz still flying? Great tip to set the turnbuckles at full-in for flying; this also ensures enough thread engagement.

On the inverted stabilizer, my take is even at zero incidence, downwash from the upper wing puts the stab at several degrees (sometimes more) negative angle-of-attack. So symmetrical versus inverted airfoil is minor lift-wise, and perhaps inverted has the benefit of reducing drag. I usually build them symmetrical, but chose to invert on this model; your experience suggests the difference is small or nil.

With everyone’s indulgence, I’ve included a few pictures of my recent progress.

This week was cockpit-combing week. As mentioned in an earlier post, I decided to use material from a fake leather jacket. The stuff is gasoline proof. Only time will tell if it has any long term problems like crazing, cracking, etc. But for now I think it looks pretty good. I built up the combing from 4 layers. The basic shape is formed by EPDM foam, ½ round, glued to the outside and inside. Then a few layers of fabric batting (from the jacket to build up padding in front of the pilot. Then I stitched on 1†wide strips of the leather stuff; the strips conform to the shape with light pressure, so the batting doesn’t squeeze or shift. Lastly, I stitched down one piece all around. The edges of the pieces underneath telegraph through, giving a pretty scale appearance. I don’t know if the original cockpit combing was one piece pleated, or multiple pieces, but it looks right.

There also are a few pictures of the radiator, fuel tank, and tail skid. Rad is built from balsa and polystyrene tubes. Fuel tank is ply and balsa. They will hide the wing attachment bolts. Skid is spruce and brass. Progress! (Well, slooow progress).

PS – Also shown is my “Judge.†At this point, she’s pretty interested in what the pilot is going to look like!
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Qo39337.jpg
Views:	137
Size:	37.7 KB
ID:	518453   Click image for larger version

Name:	To44893.jpg
Views:	128
Size:	35.3 KB
ID:	518454   Click image for larger version

Name:	Wb76788.jpg
Views:	163
Size:	42.5 KB
ID:	518455   Click image for larger version

Name:	Oh13322.jpg
Views:	137
Size:	42.6 KB
ID:	518456   Click image for larger version

Name:	Sd43544.jpg
Views:	176
Size:	41.9 KB
ID:	518457   Click image for larger version

Name:	Ri68642.jpg
Views:	167
Size:	53.4 KB
ID:	518458   Click image for larger version

Name:	Ru34198.jpg
Views:	215
Size:	42.0 KB
ID:	518459   Click image for larger version

Name:	Ba90098.jpg
Views:	169
Size:	40.7 KB
ID:	518460  

Old 09-03-2006, 10:45 PM
tommyp

Hi All,
Seth...your Pfalz is just simply amazing! Can't wait to see it finished. To answer your question, the 1/4 scaler would be ready to fly with just a little minor minor work. I need to squeeze a bigger tank in the 1/4-scale version as the Moki gobbles down the fuel pretty quickly. I also need to make a custom muffler for it...Other than that and a battery check it could fly tomorrow. The 1/5 scale version would just need a battery check and it would be ready.

I recall that I set the stab at 0 degrees, the lower wing at +1 degree and the upper wing at +2. I never changed anything after that.

Although it looks like I was severely beating up my models in the photos, in most cases when things like that happened, I was able to dust them off, fix a wire of two, change a prop and I'd be ready for the next round of flying. Those bad landings were mostly my doing (and partially "hurricane force" winds at big scale events). If you keep a little power on and don't have rusty thumbs, the Pfalz lands beautifully.

Best regards,
Tom Polapink

PS - Seth...Do you know Norm Malinowski? I think he is from your club. He built a spectacular Proctor Albatros a few years back.

Old 09-04-2006, 09:55 AM
VNulk

The pictures look terrific! You continue to do a fantastic job.

Vern
Old 09-05-2006, 05:25 AM
Mode One

Who knows something about the Blue Max Pfalz replicas? I see in the Albatros Publishing Pfalz DIII book, one is shown at the back page as being owned by a Peter Jackson of New Zealand. I assume this to be the Peter Jackson whom was the director of "Lord of the Rings" and King Cong fame. I also have a WW1 Aeroplanes magazine where the two are discussed. Also, how many of you subscribe to WW1 Aero, and do you feel it is worth the high cost?
Old 09-05-2006, 12:55 PM
arspievack

Seth,
I'm in a panic here. Your recent pictures as usual are specatcular BUT it appears to me that the hold down screws for the radiator and tank, and the nuts on the hold tabs for the wings are TOO LARGE as compared to the valve springs on the engine.
Tell me this is not so. Yours in the definitive D-III. In must be scale in every detail. We want to leave no room for someone to come along and say they did one better and then to nit-pick that detail.
Reassure me so that I can sleep tonight.

Picky scale judge
alan
Old 09-05-2006, 02:37 PM
Dai Phan
My Feedback: (2)

Hi all,

I was quite touched when I read the story about how Alan and Tommy once met in a dark and stormy night at the flying field... . I am amazed of the followings for this bird. Well, here comes Dai Phan with his little 1/6 scale Pfalz to be built shortly. I was informed by my kit cutter that the kit will be shipped out this week. Great postings guys. Please don't forget to check my Pfalz built thread too. DP
Old 09-05-2006, 03:00 PM
arspievack

Dai,
We didn't meet. He was a young kid and had built a beautiful WWI scale model. I forget what it was. I didn't talk to him because I didn't want to bother him, but I remember vividly being very impressed with his model! I knew then we'd hear more about him. The rest of his career I followed in the magazines.
ars
Old 09-05-2006, 05:41 PM
Sethhunter

Hey Alan - thanks for keeping me honest. They're bugging me too. I'll take another pass at shrinking those bolts before the saga is over!

Mode one - I subscribe to WWI Aero and love the magazine. I plan to pick up a subscription for the golden years companion publication. It's really hard to comment on the price - I don't know of any other magazine out there to compare it to. I think the volume and quality of material in each issue is top notch. Perhaps its fairer to compare to other forms of research and historical information, in which case I think it's very comparable, but of course, more diverse in subject matter. I can't put it down when I get it. But like anything else in this hobby, very much personal perference.
Old 09-05-2006, 06:41 PM
Mode One

Seth, Your right, the cost of WW1 Aero is comparable with other dedicated historical publications.
Old 09-05-2006, 10:42 PM
tommyp

Hi All,
Alan...I wish you would have "bothered" me...I'm sure it would have been no bother at all. Thanks again though for the very nice things you've said here.

Mode one - WWI Aero has always been my favorite publication and I feel it is well worth the price ($42/year - 4 issues). Each issue is packed with 140+ pages of info, so reading through it will keep you busy for a while. Skyways is equally good if you happen to prefer the Golden Age period over WWI. I'm actually involved with the publication, but I'd recommend it even if I weren't

As for the full-scale Pfalz aircraft that flew in the Blue Max, Peter Jackson of Lord of the Rings and King Kong fame does have one, which was fairly recently restored back to flying condition in Blue Max lozenge colors. A second Pfalz is owned by Javier Arango on the West Coast here int the US. It appears beautifully photographed in the new book "Ghosts of the Great War" By Philip Makanna. This Pfalz actually started out life as a Tiger Moth!
Best regards,
Tom P
Old 09-09-2006, 06:04 PM
Mode One

Many of the airplanes in the "Blue Max" were Tiger (Gypsy?) Moths with Lozenge fabric to hide their identity.

What a great movie! My personal favorite WW1 movie.

Another of my favorite a/c of ww1 is the Rolland DVIb. Anyone know of anyone who has built a model of this bird. Not trying to steer away from the Pfalz, only trying to stir up more interest.
Old 09-09-2006, 08:12 PM
abufletcher

Here's the Jackson owned, restored to Blue Max condition "False Pfalz" image that I post on page 1 of this thread. In an interview Jackson said he specifically chose to have it restored to it's movie state rather than to original specs because to him this aircraft will forever be a movie prop reminder of a great movie.
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Om31727.jpg
Views:	184
Size:	44.0 KB
ID:	521654  
Old 09-11-2006, 06:09 AM
Sethhunter

Does anyone have any documentation that describes the two placards (serial number?) afixed to the port side of the fuselage underneath the weight stencil? Or even educated guesses? One's almost square and the other is rectangular. Thanks...

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.