Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Cars, Buggies, Trucks, Tanks and more > RC Tanks
Reload this Page >

Haya ltd confirm 2nd 1/16th scale RC tank

Community
Search
Notices
RC Tanks Discuss all aspects of rc tank building and driving here!

Haya ltd confirm 2nd 1/16th scale RC tank

Search this Thread

Old 12-10-2020, 03:01 AM
tankman

Received 15 Likes on 10 Posts
Default Haya ltd confirm 2nd 1/16th scale RC tank

Just a quick update on Haya ltd second foray into 1/16th scale tanks. Andrew is pleased to confirm Haya ltd will be launching a Centurion Mk3. This model has a few proposed upgrades from the Chieftain based on feedback from customers. First up all road wheels will now have bearings fitted. The road wheels will still be plastic but will come with proper rubber rims. Metal sprockets, idlers and tracks will be fitted, The tracks will be correct type for the Centurion Mk3 all the above will be fitted as standard across the range.
The Centurion will have two metal barrels to choose from, there will be the standard 20 pounder of the Mk3 and there are plans to produce a metal 105mm as an after market item to help those who wish to go Mk5 Centurion. Another option being seriously considered is a second style of engine deck as used by the Swedish and Israeli forces for those who wish to do Swedish or IDF armour. The plan is to make the whole engine deck and barrels easily removable to facilitate those who wish to scratch build specific Centurion models.
Andrew has indicated that a new and exclusive electronics package will be fitted to Haya ltd Centurions, this will be dealt with in more detail once Andrew gets some units we can test. All we can be sure of at present is that it will come with at least four sound options one of which will be a Centurion sound set. At this precise moment in time he is awaiting a full 1/16th scale 3d printed prototype to check ready for production approval for the injection moulds to be started ready for full scale production in 2021.
Once again RCTR have been invited to come and look over the 3d printed pre production model and test out the proposed new electronics package as soon as they arrive in the U.K. In saying that at present getting down to see Andrew may become subject to restrictions imposed due to Covid. Andrew has agreed to let RCTR test his electronics ( fitted in a Chieftain test chassis) against Tamiya and El-Mod equipped tanks to get direct a comparison regarding functional performance and to find out how the battle system compares as well. Now don’t go getting your hopes up as the Haya ltd battle system is not going to come with Tamiya style battle functions like weight classes it will follow the 5 shots and die that is used by Heng Long and Taigen. As Andrew pointed out to us “ the tank IR battle scene is only a part of the larger audience we want to appeal to. Thanks to the feedback both positive and negative Haya ltd got back on the Chieftain we hope we can produce a better model for our customers with features the hobbyist actually wants and that add more quality and reliability to our products. “ We have attached some photos of a 3d render Andrew sent us. More info and pictures to follow as soon as Andrew gets the pre production 3d printed model and new control system in for us to go look at.

The following 3 users liked this post by tankman:
bowlman (12-10-2020), CodeWarrior (01-30-2021), Pnzjgr (12-16-2020)
Old 12-10-2020, 03:30 AM
jarndice

Received 64 Likes on 60 Posts

Ludwigs already offer a Centurion in kit form for a large sum of money so the question is how much will Haya's RTR Centurion cost ?
Old 12-10-2020, 03:53 AM
tankman

That is a good and fair question Jarndice, and at present difficult to answer with any accuracy to be quite honest as the tank is only at the pre-production stages. It will depend on what the injection moulds cost and how much the planed upgrades and new electronics add to those production costs. RCTR will be asking this question of Haya ltd as it’s one of the first that many will ask but I suspect it will be a ballpark figure for now until parts and production costs are finalised. But as soon as we hear anything more concrete it will be posted here and elsewhere to help people make up there own minds on if the model gives them enough bang for there hard earned buck.
Old 12-10-2020, 04:23 AM
jarndice

In my unworthy opinion seeing as how the R/C Armour World have been crying out for a 1/16 R/C RTR Centurion for as many years as I have been in the hobby If this comes close to the Cheiftain in overall specification it should sell like hot cakes,
Most certainly if after seeing it in the ABS/Metal it matches expectations my pocketbook will be ready for yet more abuse.
The following users liked this post:
tankman (12-10-2020)
Old 12-10-2020, 04:56 AM
tankman

Having talked to Andrew during his planning process of the Centurion and pointed out both the good and bad critique his Chieftain received from the hobby a few improvements were mentioned as well as a “ wish list “ for the Cent. Andrew has taken on board what was said by us, other hobbyists and customers and he has stated that he knows there are improvements to be made in the production of the Centurion, so yes I think it will in some respects be a bit of an improved model on the Chieftain, and he has already said his 3rd model should he build one will be even slightly better again as he is learning all the time. We have talked about cost and quality and he is fully aware that excessive pricing will drive customers away. On the flip side if the models are improved then prices will have to go up to cover additional costs, as Andrew pointed out to us “ it’s one of the penalties small scale producers such as us pays in a niche market, Heng Long have the luxury of being high volume production for the so called toy market as well as the more serious modeller who wishes to upgrade while I unfortunately don’t have that option. “.
Old 12-10-2020, 06:37 AM
mcovalsk

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts

Unfortunately I still couldn't buy the Chieftain from Andrew, thanks to covid, but this is the best news for me regarding the 1/16. I have been waiting for building a IDF centurion since many years. In my humble opinion the Chieftain from Haya looks like a very well done model, plenty of new and smart ideas. Just if the Centurion is like the chieftain would be an amazing base for any kind of version. My big thanks to Andrew for all the effort put on this, having a so small market for our hobby.
The following 2 users liked this post by mcovalsk:
Danblee (12-10-2020), tankman (12-10-2020)
Old 12-10-2020, 07:09 AM
tankme

Received 207 Likes on 169 Posts

Any news of a manufacturer that has a record of actually releasing tanks that wants to add to the current line-up of tanks is something that needs to be applauded. Haya sticks their neck out building the molds, footing the cost, and taking the risk bringing a new tank to market. Yes the cost is higher, but they aren't building runs in the 10's of thousands. Personally I'll look forward to the this release even if it is British. It will give my Chieftain some company as they are surrounded by Russian tanks...

Even if it comes a little after the Cent release, it would be great to see these new bearing equipped rubber wheels available as an upgrade to the Chieftain.
tankman (12-10-2020)
Old 12-10-2020, 07:56 AM
Crius

Received 313 Likes on 259 Posts

Originally Posted by jarndice
Ludwigs already offer a Centurion in kit form for a large sum of money so the question is how much will Haya's RTR Centurion cost ?
for the top-of-the-line model you'll be looking at about $700 us, minimum.

that's just a guess, but it's an educated guess.

Last edited by Crius; 12-10-2020 at 03:41 PM.
Old 12-10-2020, 01:36 PM
afv aficionado

Received 78 Likes on 55 Posts

Hi Tankman
Cool. Interesting to see two different turret tops in those renderings, guess that means optional parts, like the barrels?
Though Chris already offers both the 20 pdr A barrel & the 105mm, perhaps a 20 pdr B barrel (with fume extractor/ barrel bore evacuator). or is it to be multi part a la Chieftain?
Will the scopes be left empty or blank plastic?

Also has RCTR conducted a test of the Chieftain with barrel stabiliser, that I posted the other week?

Early Cent turret loaders hatch orientation, loaders periscope on roof plate & TC's Browning

Later Cent turret, with changed loaders hatch orientation, loaders periscope moved to forward slope

Mal
Old 12-10-2020, 01:48 PM
MAUS45

Received 38 Likes on 35 Posts

Really want to do the IDF version!!! Great news!!!
Old 12-10-2020, 02:19 PM
tankman

Hi Mal, lots of questions but sorry no definitive answers at the moment. The Centurion is still very much in the pre-production stage so the questions you have posed can and will be asked of Andrew. We are hoping to get down to see him either next weekend or the second weekend in January 2021 as he is getting busy for his Christmas rush at the moment. The last few months have been a pain due to the bat flu lockdowns in the U.K. with various U.K. regions adopting there own policy’s on when and how to deal with things. Simply put it’s made getting down to see Andrew on any sort of a regular basis difficult to say the least and when we have managed to meet up there’s the social distancing and such to follow. However we are hoping to ask Andrew about the stabilisation system in the Chieftain and if he’s not sold it do a decent test on it and ask a few questions that you and other hobbyists have asked. So please bear with us and we will get back to you good folks as soon as we can with answers.
Old 12-10-2020, 04:14 PM
afv aficionado

Received 78 Likes on 55 Posts

Hi Tankman
Cool, get the Covid thing, few followed the go hard, go early path like we did. We look forward to your next report.

Mal
tankman (12-11-2020)
Old 12-12-2020, 04:51 AM
cleong

Received 78 Likes on 64 Posts

I’d really want to support Haya because they don’t just talk a big game but actually bring a product to market (even weathering some allegations of copying along the way).

Bring on the Centurion, and have the Merkava as an encore!
tankman (12-12-2020)
Old 12-12-2020, 11:21 AM
tomhugill

Received 23 Likes on 14 Posts

Great news to hear that a centurion will be comming onto the market! Sounds like Haya are listening to feedback which is a massive plus, sounds like the main gripes with the chieftain are being addressed. Think I'll be saving my pennies.
The following 2 users liked this post by tomhugill:
jarndice (12-12-2020), tankman (12-12-2020)
Old 12-14-2020, 02:13 PM
fuchstraumer

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Definitely getting one of these when I can! I love my Chieftain to death - just one of my favorite hulls - but I'll be getting one of these for sure. I'm not as crazy about the Centurion hull, but Haya makes a quality product and despite my main gripe (lack of bearings in road wheels) almost everything else about the Chieftain was great. Great hull quality, tons of little QoL stuff (the drivers hatch power switch is just fantastic), nice controller, great way to split the hulls, just lots to love!

Addressing my main problem with the Chieftain means I just want to get a Cent to support Haya and keep them going! Excited to see this come to life over the coming months, and hoping it's the sign of more to come from Haya. Count me in and invested!
tankman (12-14-2020)
Old 01-12-2021, 12:13 AM
tankman

Right then guys, Andrew was hoping to add another update at this point but due to various U.K. lockdowns we can’t get down to see him. This is as frustrating for us as it is you and Andrew has asked me to pass on his apologies for the delay, we will update you on what’s happening ASAP but events are outside our control at present.
Old 01-12-2021, 12:50 AM
tankman

Just typical, as I was typing out my last post the phone pings and it’s a message Andrew sent last night. The image is of the 3d rendering of the turret and how Haya want it to be designed. They want the section coloured in gold ( roof section ) to be removable for maintenance and replaceable with a later mark of turret top if wanted by the customer. Also the cupola should be rotatable, Andrew is not yet sure if it will be 320 or 360 degrees, he is talking to the design team on this. Now before you all ask Haya has not confirmed if they will be producing the alternate turret top, that will depend on production costs and demand but feedback on this idea is welcome.
Old 01-12-2021, 07:41 AM
tankme

Received 207 Likes on 169 Posts

Personally I don't care about having multiple tops at release. I would say get it produced and deal with upgrades later...
tankman (01-12-2021)
Old 01-12-2021, 09:05 AM
tankman

Hi tankme, talking to Andrew it seems he is thinking along similar lines to yourself in so much as he wants to produce a Mk3 Centurion as the standard kit and supply upgrades as after market parts for those who want them. There is the thought of producing the model with a removable engine deck so that those wishing to build an IDF or Swedish Centurion could do so with ease. By removing the supplied deck and replacing with a 3d printed upgrade. These ideas I hasten to add are still very much in the melting pot at present with no final decisions having been taken. Production costs and demand being a big factor in which road to take. We will of course keep you all up to date as and when we have more to go on.
Old 01-12-2021, 09:28 AM
jarndice

The Mk3 would make sense as a complete rtr with an Upgrade line running at the same time so that a complete fully fitted out alternative turret with the 105mm replacing the 20 Pdr could be fitted along with the revised engine grille by the customer and all the many and varied alterations that the IDF and other users came up with over its long service life could also be available as upgrades.
Just don't make us wait too long please.
Old 01-12-2021, 09:36 AM
tankman

All I can say on a release date is Haya ltd is looking at a last quarter 2021 release date. That’s provided the bat flu or some other Devine intervention do not slow things up dramatically. We will, I promise keep you all updated as soon as we get any info off Haya ltd.
Old 01-12-2021, 12:45 PM
jarndice

I think that most people would accept the mk 3 and the mk 7 (FV4007) were the most prominent of the British Army Centurions so perhaps a turret of the mk 7 as an upgrade along with its uprated engine grilles would make sense as an upgrade starting point..
Old 01-12-2021, 01:03 PM
fuchstraumer

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by tankman
Right then guys, Andrew was hoping to add another update at this point but due to various U.K. lockdowns we can’t get down to see him. This is as frustrating for us as it is you and Andrew has asked me to pass on his apologies for the delay, we will update you on what’s happening ASAP but events are outside our control at present.
I mean, with this current pandemic much better safe than sorry! I prefer our rc-tank-making talent alive and well rather than any alternative. I think reasonable and kind folks understand that no one is actively delaying things right now - there have been a number of RC tank projects alone (which is a rather small field, really!) delayed and slowed down by all of this. It happens ^^

as for the potential turret upgrade - I think getting a Mk3 out the door sooner rather than later makes a lot of sense, because in my experience most RC tank fans that aren't active on places like this forum aren't really hardcore variant/accuracy nerds. Leaving the space for us to nerd out later with upgrades and variants, and pay a bit of a premium, makes sense to me. Especially given the general quality of Haya tanks so far, I'm comfortable paying more for my slightly more detailed and unique Centurion - but I imagine most people will just see "oh, cool Centurion!" or "oh, cool tank!" even without much consideration to what exactly it is

edit: as a further addition to this point, this is exactly how Heng Long captured the market with their initially cheap offerings, before later upgrading into even better quality. Start with what's cheap and easy to produce but still good enough (and I think haya is already FAR FAR better than early HL tanks, of which I own a few) - and then leave space for the hobbyist market, integrating lessons learned or design work done and/or tooling produced to create higher detail and higher quality stuff down the line.

Last edited by fuchstraumer; 01-12-2021 at 01:07 PM.
Old 01-12-2021, 01:27 PM
RichJohnson

Received 374 Likes on 238 Posts

I want an IDF variant so I hope he declares if that will be an add on kit, or a whole separate model or not produced but easily modified to build.
I’m not gonna run out and buy one unless I know ahead what his plans are for the models.
bowlman (01-13-2021)
Old 01-20-2021, 12:39 AM
tankman

Right then guys, had an update from Andrew yesterday. He’s sent me a few pictures of work that is being done on the 3d rendering files for the Haya ltd Centurion. Once the work is completed on these files he’s hoping to get the pre production 3d model printed up for fit and function testing within 8 - 12 weeks. Provided all that works out moulds can then be ordered ready for pre production moulded models to be made and tested in the months following.
Another thing Haya ltd is working on at present is an upgrade electronics package for the Centurion. After the Chieftain launch he wanted electronics that are unique to Haya ltd with some improvements over the system he is currently running in the Chieftain. At present this system is still in the development stages with Andrew and the manufacturer working on some of the features he wants incorporated into the new system. Andrew is aiming to make this system exclusive to Haya ltd
No he is not trying to reinvent the wheel or compete with other high end after market board manufacturers he simply wants a board that will run and sound right as well as battle with Tamiya Heng Long and Torro models equipped with IR battle systems.

3d image with correction needed marked out

3d image with corrections needed marked

3d image with corrections needed marked

3d image with needed corrections marked out.

3d image with corrections needed marked out.

3 d image with needed corrections marked out.

Proposed new TX for Haya ltd’s new control board

More on what this board will do as soon as we get the info from Haya ltd hopefully in the next 8 - 12 weeks. Once Andrew gets the prototype boards from the manufacturers RCTR have been asked to test this board and do a full review. Unfortunately the bat flu has slowed things right up due to lockdowns, travel restrictions as well as manufacturing and supply difficulty’s, all contributing to slowing development and production of the Centurion. Despite these unwanted delays and difficulties Haya ltd are still hoping to get this model into commercial production at some point in 2021.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.