Notices
RC On Road Nitro Cars Discuss all aspects of on-road nitro rc cars here

The GTP Thread

Search this Thread

Old 07-27-2008, 07:19 PM
Mufasa_719

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default The GTP Thread

Well I can't find a thread on the GTP so here it is.

I my self love this car. It seems to handle great, and is very sturdy.
I am running an Axial.28 with a Dynamite platnum 053 pipe. 50k/15k F/R diffs and the center spool. With a 19CB

Here is mine. I will post more pics when I get my body painted.

Old 07-27-2008, 07:59 PM
CBM Racing

Default RE: The GTP Thread

Not long ago mine was that nice and clean too! Car is great fun I agree. I run 50k front, 10k rear diffs, but use the shoe type 2 speed. I didn't like the speed of the single speed as I run on larger tracks, and when running on the lawnmower race track, 1st gear is very handy for ripping out of the corners. I'll try to throw some recent pics of mine up tomarrow, beat up body and all! Tried the panther medium slicks off of towerhobbies today. Sauced them with jack the gripper tire compound about an hour before running. Man o man! The grip was incredible! If used on a prepped surface I think it would traction roll! Sadly after just 1 tank, the front left was splitting down one side, nuts. Post up guys!
Old 07-28-2008, 05:33 PM
CBM Racing

Put my lrp spec3 in today, tried the stock pipe with it, BAH! Running 14/18 pinions and 45/49 spurs and with mach 427 it was awsome. But that was with a jp2 pipe. LRP with stock pipe was so bad on power and almost impossible to tune right, as soon as it cools off I'm putting the jp2 back on. Got to stop buying tires and save for a picco 28! Later!
Old 07-28-2008, 08:42 PM
CBM Racing

Got 2 more tanks in with lrp and jp2 pipe. Not bad, but not near the performance I was hoping for though. Towards the end of the 2nd tank the rear diff blew out, nuts. Lucky I had a heavy duty gear just waiting to go in. I don't know, in my lst2 the lrp wheelies on demand, awsome power and pretty good top speed, but in the gtp it seems really weak. I was expecting awsome acceleration and fair top end, but it seems really flat all the way along though. Not very impressive, but for a 160$ engine, what can you expect I guess[]. Bros picco powered gtp is gonna own me [:@], not sure what to do here. The mach 427 pulls almost as strong, but has so much more top rpm. Hmmmm, maybe switch back again, after a few more mods to the mach. Just really bummed about performance here from what is a rockin' engine in a monster truck, it just seems slightly better than the axial I had in it, wonder what the deal is? Maybe try the ht pipe from losi after work, but I am thinking it aint gonna be the powerhouse I thought it was, GRAAAAWWW!!! Let me know what some of you guys are running that gives great performance if you can. Thanks!
Old 07-29-2008, 06:35 AM
Mufasa_719

Man I;m tellin you that lrp-Jp3 single spool-and a 19CB and that monster would rock the block. Even my Axial Pulls hard to top speed which i am thinking is got to be in the high40-low50 mark. It is just sick.
I am running the Axial.28SPEC1,Dynamite plat-053 mid pipe, 19tooth CB and Sporetwerks 7075 alloy shoes,and a motorsaver airfilter
Old 07-29-2008, 06:42 AM
Mufasa_719

I am not opposed to 2-speed but I just think a single is faster and more effecint
Old 07-29-2008, 06:59 AM
helivaguy

why are you guys running lowend pipes for top speeds?
try the 9886,086 or pcr 2047 and you will see these engines put out rpms.
personally i would ****can those jammin pipes..
i always use .21- 7 port engines with on-road mufflers with a short offroad header also i use the smallest spurgear i can find 36,42,44,etc with a 19-23 clutch bell (no 2 speed for me) trust me you will see a different animal.
Old 07-29-2008, 10:36 AM
Mufasa_719

I am not uesing a lowend or jammin pipe, its a platnum midrange. as for the spurgear it is the only one right now. I have a few that I need to try to mod to fit. I ya know of some let me in on the man, I need some. As for the clutch bell a 19 is the biggest that will fit with this spur. Motor wise the axial and the pipe, its all I had onhand. I want to run the Picco 9port evo When I get some more money. Its a work in progress. You know how these things go.
Old 07-29-2008, 02:38 PM
helivaguy

the 053 is a lowend to mid pipe, 063 is mid to top,086 is flatout topend.
heres another tip.. jammin jpx .21 is one of the baddest 21's out there,its basically a picco p7 evo-2 with the p9 evo on road crank,ive personally seen these outrun novas,ninjas,v-specs and go-techs,based on my experience the 28 mills (especially with rotostarts and recoils)are not the way to go with these gtp's if you are looking for hi-rpm top speeds.
smaller spurgears? look at kyosho, duratrax and robinson,you can also use a regular center diff assembly and lock the internals with epoxy or hotglue,when i had mine i made a 37t spurgear from a robinson gear and used a 24t pinion and it was sick no parking lot was big enough.
just trying to give a few pointers because i been there done that with those gtp's back in the day.
Old 07-29-2008, 04:54 PM
CBM Racing

The lrp really just doesn't have a whole lot of rpm's, hence the jp2 pipe to try to take advantage of it's low and midrange power. It does have decent grunt, better than the axial I had in it, but no way near what I was hoping for. As for the 2 speed, I like it a lot. Top speed isn't my primary concern, but I do need to be able to accelerate hard out of the turns, and still retain a decent top end. At times a single speed is the way to go, but not where we race. Uhoh, tornado warnings, later!
Old 07-29-2008, 05:43 PM
helivaguy

a bunch of used to go to the biggest lot we could find with out gtp's and just flatout haulbutt,
we also used to modify our 2 speed trannys and clutchbells using gears from the hpi rs4,with the gears being plastic we used aluminum hvac tape to cover all the openings under the chassis.
we also used to use coca cola in a spraybottle as tire traction aid...worked really well.
Old 07-30-2008, 04:11 PM
Mufasa_719

With the Platnum's the 007 is low to mid mit to high is 053 and top is the 086
Old 07-30-2008, 07:51 PM
CBM Racing

Tried the losi HT pipe today. Paired with the lrp it was good off the line, fell kinda flat in the midrange, then picked up again on top. So far I like the jp2 the best. Kinda weak on the very bottom, but mid and top are much better. It seems as though the picco 28 is gonna be the way to go though, with o86 pipe. Now playing with adjusting the rear control arms. I would lllike to reduce the body roll, and reduce camber gain in the rear. I have to run about 1degree +camber or the tires wear to much to the inside. Same with the fronts, but not much adjustments to be made there. Also need some stronger springs all around. Any ideas? Later.
Old 07-31-2008, 05:11 AM
helivaguy

you try 80wt shock oil on all 4? what springs are u using?
i use to run heavy t-maxx springs cut down,my gtp was slammed to the ground.
i used to run 1-2 degree toe in at rear and 1 degree toeout at fronts,
and -1 degree front and rear camber,almost like my buggys but more tame.
if your set on a.28 then the jammin jpx .28 is the same engine as the picco .28 and its less money.
jammin .28 with ofna 086 is the best bang for the buck.
me personally i would use the jammin jpx.21 engine with the ofna pcr 2027 pipe.
Old 07-31-2008, 08:50 PM
CBM Racing

Thanks for the suggestions above. Using stock springs for now, but will try heavier fluid in them. Got the rear camber link set pretty well now as well, so it doesn't gain so much when suspension compresses. Right now stuck with 2 options for rear toe, but seems ok with the 2` setting. Running 1.5 degree toe out in front. Might go with a .21 engine, but not sure yet. Work is slow this year so not as much playtime money, otherwise I would say screw it and go with the os 28. We'll see what ends up in there in a few weeks though. To bad it is such a heavy beast, thinking of lightening everything from the chassis to the diff cases. Need to shed about 2lbs somehow...hmmmm. Keep forgetting new pics. Will try soon to get some up. Thanks!
Old 07-31-2008, 08:53 PM
ThunderbirdJunkie
My Feedback: (3)

Seriously (still) thinking about picking one of these up.

I've got an STS 28 5 port that I think would do QUITE nicely in the RTR 2 speed car.

Where do you guys get your bodies?

BTW, as far as Mach 427 vs LRP 28, the LRP isn't significantly more powerful. I've run my M427 powered Savage against a couple similarly-geared-and-equipped LRP 28 powered Savages...I'm not gonna say I'm right there with 'em, but I AM gonna say that they're not pullin on me HARD
Old 08-01-2008, 02:05 AM
XavierG

What's the speed of OFNA GTP stock?
Old 08-01-2008, 09:49 PM
CBM Racing

Don't know the speed of the rtr model, but should be reasonably quick, anyone else know? I agree with you ThunderbirdJunkie about difference in power. Comparing sidexside in the same vehicles(lst2, gtp2)the lrp pulls a bit harder low to midrange, but the mach soon makes up for it with rpms that keep climbing. I will say that the mach never pulled the front end up on my lst2, but with lrp it's not a problem. I got my bodies from nitrohouse, but I think they are overpriced for the quality. The kyosho igt bodies fit, are better looking, and can be found cheaper. Good things happen sometimes! Got home from work today to meet the ups guy dropping off a gift from my wife, a shiny new picco .28!!! WOHOOOO!!![X(]. Got it sealed(carb, backplate, carb retainer bolt)and installed and got a tank idled through it after letting sealant set up. Tomarrow break in and testing! WEEEE!!!
Old 08-02-2008, 03:05 AM
XavierG

OK.

edit.
Old 08-02-2008, 11:03 AM
helivaguy

ORIGINAL: CBM Racing

Don't know the speed of the rtr model, but should be reasonably quick, anyone else know? a shiny new picco .28!!! WOHOOOO!!![X(]. Got it sealed(carb, backplate, carb retainer bolt)and installed and got a tank idled through it after letting sealant set up. Tomarrow break in and testing! WEEEE!!!
should be around 40-50 or so..
what gearing and pipe are you using for that picco.28?
Old 08-02-2008, 05:06 PM
CBM Racing

Right now for break in using 14/18 pinions and 45/49 spurs. Trying a losi ht pipe for now, then will try a JP3, and if not happy with either of these 2 will get an 086 pipe for it. So far today just finished tank 6 at a rich setting still. Been leaning hsn 1/8 after each tank, still pretty rich but comming to life nicely. Heading to park soon to start tuning and finish up the break in. Prolly 5-6 more tanks before I get a good race tune on it. So far loving this motor, starts on 1-2pulls, idles great, no carb issues or tuning changes at all. Will see how it goes soon here. Bro is using same engine but 086 pipe, and I like that combo, but will see how it goes with a tune on it.
Old 08-02-2008, 09:40 PM
helivaguy

cool good luck..keep us posted.
Old 08-02-2008, 09:52 PM
Mufasa_719

Stock GTP speed was 49.??

Thunder These cars are fun to run. You could get a late model body from rjspeed for about 49$ as well as the viper from nitro house for 47.99.

I am loving this car more and more everyday.

Well I am pondering the idea of going for a 2-speed to try. See how I like it in racing. My single set-up works great and has some heads turning on race night so I dont know.
By monday I will have pics of the beater Viper I picked up for 25$$$
Old 08-02-2008, 11:00 PM
CBM Racing

Bro is running the viper body, me the clk. This is my go to car now, so much fun to drive, no sweeping pebbles, bumps are no problem...just great fun. The picco is really comming alive now as well! Started to tune for performance after about 12 tanks today. MAN! With the losi ht pipe the bottom end is sweet, great transition through the midrange, but not really high revving on top, so high speed is suffering a little bit. Still not fully broke in and a little bit rich, but showing great power. Just finished putting on JP2 pipe and about 1/4inch shorter header, so will test that in the afternoon. Bad news though, bro's picco is acting up badly[:'(]. Tried to explain how to seal the carb up on the phone, hope he gets it. Thinks he might put the axial back in[:-]if he can't figure out how to seal it up. I say use the axial for a backup for his revo, and fix that carb! His was ungodly with the 086, so hope he doesn't give up on it for a simple sealant job. Anyone know of any bodies that fit over the wheels with the extended hexes? They extend the left wheels out around 1/2inch, and it looks goofy with the body on. Can't wait for more testing!
Old 08-03-2008, 11:05 AM
Mufasa_719

I dont think there is a body that will clear with the extended hexes. With all that low and mid range try uping that gearing you are running. you have 14-17 on first and 17-21 on second gear, thus uping your top speed and alowing you to still retain the excelration.

I am playing with the 2-speed Idea for all the grearing options. Other than that, the car is running great and fast too. I will have the pics up later tonight. When I go with a new motor I was thinking about .427 as I can get them for like 110 brand new. But I am going to wait and see what my motor budget is like first.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.