Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > RC Jets
Reload this Page >

J-35 Draken build thread

Notices
RC Jets Discuss RC jets in this forum plus rc turbines and ducted fan power systems

J-35 Draken build thread

Old 01-23-2008, 09:22 PM
Frank Alvarez

Received 12 Likes on 10 Posts
Default RE: The new Saab J-35 Draken arrived!!!

Hello Joe,

Thanks for the kudo's!

I have been on a rather intense building schedule with this bird. I'll be shocked if I can actually get this jet built, and pull this off buy mid March.
Ground testing to begin at the end of March. And if all is well, to proceed imediatly with the flight testing profiles and work-ups until I load the trailer for Florida in April.
Rather ambitous I know, but I have been lucky to surround myself with some greats like, Kerry, and Mark, and fella's like yourself.
I'm currently flying the system and will return early Saturday to continue the Draken between all of the honey-do's. the kid do's, and any other do's that need my attention.
Take care for now Joe, good to hear from you,
Frank.
Old 01-23-2008, 09:38 PM
Frank Alvarez

Hello Ali,

Good to hear from you.

Last time we spoke you had just finnished a rather cunning dead-stick recovery of the flamed-out Mig-21 at Fl jets! Good show!

In any event, should you take the plunge, and proceed with the Draken. Please ensure the aircraft is shipped with all of the building guidance, as mine was shipped with none. Admittingly, Airworld USA could only provide a limited level of support with the building. I had to enlist the aid of the aircraft designer, Mr. Manfred Ebarhard, and Mr. Peter Liebetrau, the manufacture, for the building assistance.

I am very greatful to these two distinguished gentlemen for thier patience and understanding as they have sorted through all of my e-mail and my "whining and snivveling".
They have provided pictures, building recommendations, and sugested numerous completion pointers to succesfully complete thier product.

To my knowledge, Airworld-USA to this day, do not carry any written Draken completion manuals. Its been trying at times, but I am carrying on with the jet!

Take care Ali,

If you haven't decided by April, I'll see you in Florida during Top Gun, and you may have a go with mine. Cheers'
Frank.
Old 01-25-2008, 01:47 PM
figueroa
My Feedback: (22)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

ORIGINAL: Frank Alvarez

Hello Florida!

IThank you for the kind words, see you in Florida during the April Top gun program.
Stay warm,
Frank.
Thanks Frank, Good luck at Top Gun.
Old 01-25-2008, 06:51 PM
Ali
My Feedback: (5)

Received 18 Likes on 17 Posts

Hey Frank
Yep that After burning Mig 21 flight is one I would rather forget [:@]
Just as I am trying to decide on the Draken my Gripen from Air world just turned up... and have to say it looks great. Looks like I might have to wait a while to get a Draken[]
Unless of course you decide to sell yours anytime betwen now and after Top Gun
Thanks for the feed back, and I look forward to catching up with you soon.
Regards Al
Old 02-02-2008, 11:21 AM
Frank Alvarez

Default RE: J-35 Draken build thread

Hello folks,

Today is Saturday, February 2nd. As I prepare to yet again imerse myself in my shop for the next ten hours or so, I thought I would up load some more shots of my progress.
The following are some of the scale details being added to the jet as I go. The design really does not enable much internal acess once together. So, to make things easy on myself, I decided to add bits and pieces contingent on were I am working, ie. forward, aft, lower or upper fuselage.
The first are the rough cut-outs of the four NACA ducts on the upper fuse. Rudimentary I know, but they will look great once finnished out.
The next shots of the aft fuselage afterburner cooling ducts.
The last one of my concept addition to the nose cone, still undecided on this, as the full size Draken has quite the large pitot probe extending from the nose section. More work to be done hear folks.
Stay warm,
Frank.
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Om33688.jpg
Views:	98
Size:	25.0 KB
ID:	867926   Click image for larger version

Name:	Id95031.jpg
Views:	95
Size:	18.8 KB
ID:	867927   Click image for larger version

Name:	Ze87054.jpg
Views:	92
Size:	53.5 KB
ID:	867928   Click image for larger version

Name:	Ib81975.jpg
Views:	80
Size:	24.9 KB
ID:	867929   Click image for larger version

Name:	Ju13153.jpg
Views:	77
Size:	25.4 KB
ID:	867930   Click image for larger version

Name:	Xn88314.jpg
Views:	80
Size:	22.7 KB
ID:	867931  
Old 02-02-2008, 11:22 AM
Frank Alvarez

Some more from the previous post...........

Name:	Ki20268.jpg
Views:	83
Size:	40.5 KB
ID:	867934   Click image for larger version

Name:	Kf14308.jpg
Views:	90
Size:	57.2 KB
ID:	867935  
Old 02-15-2008, 02:38 PM
Frank Alvarez

Hey guys,

Finally had time to post my progress on the 1/5th Draken fighter.

While I have not posted any photos in the last two weeks, I have indeed, been working feverishly to make headway in order to meet my self imposed timeline for completing this wonderful jet.
The following pictures is of work completed in the last week or so.

The first of the series is of the four, yes, I said four speedbrakes!
There are four equally spaced speedbrakes on the J-35 spaced around the aft-fuselage area for added drag for the approach and landing phase due to the lack of flaps. Its all about AOA for this jet, along with proper power manegement for this guy as it is with most similar design delta platforms. The photos may not necesarily be in correct order but you can get the idea by viewing the pictures.
Enjoy.........

Name:	Vt57912.jpg
Views:	95
Size:	20.6 KB
ID:	879361   Click image for larger version

Name:	Kg15279.jpg
Views:	90
Size:	30.3 KB
ID:	879362   Click image for larger version

Name:	Pu51956.jpg
Views:	81
Size:	24.9 KB
ID:	879363  
Old 02-15-2008, 02:46 PM
Frank Alvarez

More pictures of the very time consuming cutting and corect alignment of the speed brake doors.
The geometry of this consistant curve of the inner fuse caused some rather heavy head-aching! I had to go thru several design applications (that incidentally failed) until I was able to find a solution to this tough application.
My dear friend Kerry Sterner, came to my rescue as he has faced similar frustrations with other aircraft in his time.
Thank you Kerry for your advise and patience while I trudged thru this hurdle

Name:	Xv64338.jpg
Views:	89
Size:	27.4 KB
ID:	879366   Click image for larger version

Name:	Ql35416.jpg
Views:	84
Size:	33.0 KB
ID:	879367   Click image for larger version

Name:	Va72307.jpg
Views:	73
Size:	33.8 KB
ID:	879368   Click image for larger version

Name:	Cv62482.jpg
Views:	79
Size:	26.4 KB
ID:	879369   Click image for larger version

Name:	Al71966.jpg
Views:	71
Size:	28.1 KB
ID:	879370   Click image for larger version

Name:	Hy34165.jpg
Views:	100
Size:	36.0 KB
ID:	879371  
Old 02-15-2008, 02:50 PM
Joe C
My Feedback: (23)

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

Looking great Frank, see you soon.
Joe C!!
Old 02-15-2008, 02:55 PM
Frank Alvarez

OK, enough of those damed doors you say!

Alright then, here are some money shots of the go-go juice burner being installed in the Draken.
This is rather unusual, as there is no engine compartment interanally! The turbine is installed right from the aft-end of the fuselage and all periphial service is conducted from the real as well, ie... fuel valve and the gas valve.
The main liquid fuel cells will be located right on the C/G further up. That will be posted hopefully within the next week.
Here is the turbine going into its new home.

Name:	Yv65998.jpg
Views:	139
Size:	68.5 KB
ID:	879380   Click image for larger version

Name:	Fa87290.jpg
Views:	125
Size:	57.1 KB
ID:	879381   Click image for larger version

Name:	Qw56664.jpg
Views:	131
Size:	56.4 KB
ID:	879382   Click image for larger version

Name:	Uo36099.jpg
Views:	140
Size:	71.0 KB
ID:	879383  
Old 02-23-2008, 10:22 PM
c-130RCpilot

Hey Guys,

Pictures do not do this bird justice. I'm one of the lucky few to have seen this under construction in Frank's workshop. A big plane and very different from run of the mill jets. Without a doubt this baby is a beautiful, high tech machine. This plane will be impressive in the air and on the ground. Great work Frank!

Eric
Old 04-20-2008, 11:03 PM
AGR413
My Feedback: (1)

Hey Frank, any updates on your draken?
Old 04-22-2008, 07:30 AM
Square Nozzle

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I have it on good authority that Frank and the Draken are on their way to Top Gun. I guess he put in so much midnight oil to finish this project that he didn't have time to update us on progress.
Old 04-22-2008, 09:32 AM
Ray Davis

Midnight oil.....many, many, mornings to 3AM and up at 6....been an absolutely heroic effort! And right down to the wire Sat nite w/ a last minute engine change...first flights on Sunday. Art Arro says it flew beautifully, the classic "just a flew clicks of trim...". Right main did hang up on a brake hose first flight....no damage at all, subsequent flights all fun. High AOA at landing, kiss it on, etc....Frank made it look beautiful, I'm told.

I talked w/ Frank yesterday....he was on the road decompressing, enjoying the repite, even in the heavy traffic ). First time pulling a trailer, too. Few of us know what this takes.... a unique, virtually prototype model of ten-foot length...and to bring it to successful fruition in 5-months was just amazing.

On his way to Top Gun...stayed in Maryland last night. I've every confidence Frank will blow them away down there just knowing how well he makes his 15 look in the air. You run into him....congratulate him. Win, lose, or draw....no one deserves it more. You'll find he's a great guy....can't be any better a representative of what this hobby means to all of us than he's been these years I've had the pleasure of his friendship.

Ray
Old 04-22-2008, 06:07 PM
AGR413

Thanks for the info, the Draken really captures me, it originality, longevity and innovation are amazing. What I know of Frank is from this forum and he seems like a great fellow.

GO GET EM FRANK.

PS, if you have a moment we would be eternally grateful for some pictures..
Old 04-22-2008, 10:02 PM
Meesh
My Feedback: (135)

Frank is a Great Guy! I have had the pleasure of knowing him for the last 3 years and have never heard him utter a bad word about anyone or anything. He is the consumate gentleman.

Good luck at Top Gun Frank. Knock em dead!

Bob
Old 04-24-2008, 02:08 PM
Ray Davis

Just off the phone w/ Jeff Lynds.......real-time running commentary of Frank's first flight at TG:

On the centerline, nice scale/shallow TO.....all the typical jet manuevers at realistic speeds...perfect, high-AOA slow flight (looks almost risky-slow says Jeff), landing at pilot center on CL...held the NG off. Looked like the 50th flight, not the third, Jeff says, Frank appearing very comfortable/at ease. Not a bobble, smooth as can be. Winds not a real factor so far for anyone. 8-minute flight....was up same time as Schulman and the big 16.

Puts to rest, it would seem, any questions as to how the Draken translates to model-size(!)......'flies like a Cub...', certainly the right model for Frank, as he does not rip them around.

First official flights scheduled for Saturday.

Ray
Old 04-24-2008, 02:23 PM
Meesh
My Feedback: (135)

Ray,

That's great news! I've been wondering how he's doing.

Thanks
Bob Michaud
Old 04-24-2008, 04:22 PM
AGR413

Thanks for the update, it is great to hear a success story!

Even though I have never met Frank after reading all of this I'm becoming a fan of Frank and his Draken.

Tell him were rooting for him!
Old 04-24-2008, 10:28 PM
FILE IFR

The Draken is impressive in the air, especially the way Frank makes it look flying at a 'scale' cruise speed. I'll post some pics tomorrow night.
Old 04-25-2008, 09:05 AM
Ray Davis

Jeff called again......second flight yesterday almost a disaster!

Coming out of a half Cuban-8, Jeff describes incredible WING flutter....could really hear it and see the wing vibrating, and it immediately went hardover right(?). Frank got it slowed it, got it leveled w/ hardover opposite stick. Put it down w/o incident. Turned out a servo pocket/mount let go and jammed the surface hard up. I believe the Draken has redundant surfaces, so there was some control left on that side. (Work party, constisting of Jeff, Art Arro, Mike Turocy, others I'm sure, worked from 3PM til 8 last night re-doing them all.) Obviously, a great piece of flying. Incidentally, Frank is an American Captain......you'd want him up front, no doubt, in an emergency ).

He does fly jets almost uniquely...relatively slow and extremely scale-like, re speed and energy management. His 15 demo is as realistic as anything you might see at a full scale show...no doubt the Draken is flown the same. He'll score very well if realism is finally appreciated over ripping them around down there )!

Earlier thread, someone asked re slow/high AOA flight. Frank is constantly re-trimming the in pitch during flight the Draken uses all the full up Tx trim available when in slow flight/high AOA, says Jeff. Frank flies the MD-80s same way....whatever the speed, it is re-trimmed so that there is no back stick needed. Models the same.

Ray
Old 04-25-2008, 02:58 PM
Ray Davis

Jeff called, Frank just flew a third practice flight. Conservative....working out his routine...stuck another landing. Everything looked real good.

Apparently he got killed on static he's up third tomorrow at 8:30 AM for the first judged flight.

Ray
Old 04-27-2008, 01:32 AM
AGR413

I just found what must be a picture of Franks draken.

[link=http://image2-1.rcuniverse.com/e1/forum/upfiles/215421/Uw44071.jpg]http://image2-1.rcuniverse.com/e1/forum/upfiles/215421/Uw44071.jpg[/link]
Old 04-28-2008, 08:35 AM
Ray Davis

Dunno....haven't seen it, but I thought it was overall white. And I don't recognize the support gear. Who's ever it is..a beauty!

Frank flew twice Saturday...so-so scores on the first one, in the 90s on the second. Don't know how he came out overall....but he's going home w /an intact Draken and a terrfiic experience. Certainly proved what a nice flying model it is...and now he can finish it to perfection at his leisure.

I congratulate him on a superb effort(!).....I'm sure we'll hear from him directly in a few days. Right now...he's likely on the road. Safe trip!

Ray
Old 04-28-2008, 01:22 PM
Square Nozzle

Frank will likely have the Draken at Capitol Jets on July 12 and 13. Why not plan to attend and enjoy a weekend of good flying and viewing.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.