Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Cars, Buggies, Trucks, Tanks and more > RC 1/8th Scale Buggies
Reload this Page >

Need Help Identifying Engine and Tuning

Community
Search
Notices
RC 1/8th Scale Buggies Discuss the ever popular category of 1/8th scale rc buggies in this forum!

Need Help Identifying Engine and Tuning

Search this Thread

Old 03-26-2019, 07:23 PM
RcFnatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Exclamation Need Help Identifying Engine and Tuning

I have this engine on a Losi 8ight, but I'm unable to tune it very good as it's my first nitro. I'm trying to find the factory settings for the carb but I can't find Novarossi P5X anywhere, even looked through all of the discontinued engines. Once it starts, I throttle up slightly and it sounds like it's getting flooded or bogging down, and if I throttle too fast it dies. Also a lot of fuel spews out of the exhaust pipe and covers the ground in fluid. I can't reach the idle screw because it's facing towards the chassis. Any suggestions?

(I tried posting pictures but it said no url until at least 10 posts, will post when I can.)
Purple heatsink, says Novarossi P5X Buggy on the top

Last edited by RcFnatic; 03-27-2019 at 02:14 PM.
Old 04-11-2019, 07:04 PM
mkjohnston
My Feedback: (2)

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

if you start this engine up and it immediately bogs your engine is to rich so turn the high speed needle ( the on the left in 1/8th of turn to the right and see if will run. you want to be very careful as you can get a lean condition and you will toast your engine Go to this link and read the entire thread its a sister to RC Universe called RC TECh https://www.rctech.net/forum/offroad...ing-bible.html. this is more informative thanthis site
good luck
Michael
Old 04-14-2019, 07:27 AM
RcFnatic

Originally Posted by RcFnatic
I have this engine on a Losi 8ight, but I'm unable to tune it very good as it's my first nitro. I'm trying to find the factory settings for the carb but I can't find Novarossi P5X anywhere, even looked through all of the discontinued engines. Once it starts, I throttle up slightly and it sounds like it's getting flooded or bogging down, and if I throttle too fast it dies. Also a lot of fuel spews out of the exhaust pipe and covers the ground in fluid. I can't reach the idle screw because it's facing towards the chassis. Any suggestions?

(I tried posting pictures but it said no url until at least 10 posts, will post when I can.)
Purple heatsink, says Novarossi P5X Buggy on the top
Here's the pictures:

Old 04-15-2019, 10:01 AM
Big Alice

Received 23 Likes on 22 Posts

Found this but I can't guarantee how accurate it is. https://www.rctech.net/forum/nitro-o...tings-p5x.html
Old 07-04-2019, 06:21 AM
mugeyman

Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts

hi Rcfanatic there is a tuning guide on this web site in nitro engines forum or you can go to ron paris nitro tuning manual on the WWW .he was one of the first guys on tuning rc nitro engines , plugs , fuel , tuning exhaust pipes OK think your a little rich on the high speed needle ( HSN ) ok when light blue smoke starts to come out on acceleration you are approx tuned
lean is mean and fast and connecting rod comes apart in peices ok hoped i helped you mugey
Old 04-05-2020, 09:57 PM
RcFnatic

Originally Posted by mugeyman
hi Rcfanatic there is a tuning guide on this web site in nitro engines forum or you can go to ron paris nitro tuning manual on the WWW .he was one of the first guys on tuning rc nitro engines , plugs , fuel , tuning exhaust pipes OK think your a little rich on the high speed needle ( HSN ) ok when light blue smoke starts to come out on acceleration you are approx tuned
lean is mean and fast and connecting rod comes apart in peices ok hoped i helped you mugey
Thanks for the help. The reason it was bogging down so much is because I wasn't running at operating temperature (didn't have temp gun). Also it was way too cold out to be trying to tune the engine right after break in.