Notices
Everything Diesel Discuss R/C Diesel engines here.

Want MVVS10 CC R/C Engine

Old 01-02-2020, 10:13 AM
wheelerdan1324

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Want MVVS10 CC R/C Engine

I am new to this site. I am a diesel flyer. In fact I fly mostly diesels, most of the time a combination of various PAW and Davis diesel conversions. I am looking for a MMVS10 (.60 sized) Diesel R/C engine to purchase. It must be in good running order and have a muffler. Anybody interested in letter their example go to new home, I would love to hear from you. Thanks. Dan
The following users liked this post:
jnayjaso (04-05-2020)
Old 04-02-2020, 10:23 AM
RichardGee
My Feedback: (156)

Received 20 Likes on 17 Posts

Dan,
Did you ever locate an MVVS 10cc diesel?
I have a brand new one and do have some experience running this type.
Old 04-03-2020, 02:42 PM
wheelerdan1324

I am not sure if my reply went through so will answer again here.

No, sir, You are the first to respond. I am an inveterate diesel tinkerer. I have tried the 60 sized PAW, Merco, an OS conversion, and a Fox 74 Conversion. As I said earlier, I fly mostly diesels. Would like to try the MVVS 60 as people say it is better than the above. Is your engine for sale? Thanks. Dan
Old 04-03-2020, 05:44 PM
RichardGee

Hi Dan,
My MVVS .61D is not for sale; it is part of my collection.
However, I did have one of these years ago that was an absolute nightmare to start and run.
It could have been that I was running it with a quiet tuned pipe, but I doubt that was the case.
MVVS used to sell this engine with both a glow and diesel head. The Carburetor was slightly smaller on this "dual purpose" engine to work properly with either glow or diesel.
With the glow head, the engine started, ran, and throttled very well.
With the diesel head, it became a MONSTER.
At the time, I had experience running various PAWs, an OS .61 diesel conversion and a Fox .74 Davis diesel conversion, and none of them gave me the problems of the MVVS .61D.
I cannot say definitively it was the engine, but based on my other diesel experience, I don't know what I could have been doing wrong to cause the problem?
Plus, just switching to its glow head made it run fine (obviously with glow fuel).
I wouldn't recommend the engine for anything other than tinkering.... and I know that's generally what diesel-philes like to do...

I thought I might have a fantastic combo with the Fox .74, but I made the mistake of converting the ringed version.
IF I had it to do over, I would have acquired an ABC version of the .74.
I did replace the stock Fox EZ carburetor with one older two needle Fox carb sized for a Fox .45 (direct bolt on) which helped alot. But the ringed version's running characteristics changed wildly while running it. At some points, I could not get it to under compress and had to add head gaskets.

If you want a good reliable .60 sized diesel, you can't do any better than the PAW.
Old 04-04-2020, 02:38 PM
wheelerdan1324

Richard,

Thanks for the answer. I am surprised the MVVS 60 was difficult. Makes me want to try one even more. I am sorry your is not for sale.

I have had most of the PAW engines. In fact just got a 40 TBR delivered today. (I needed it). I am not enamored with their 60. It just does not make much powder. The 49 R/C seems a much better balanced size on this crankcase. Of the PAWs in order of favorites, 19 TBR R/C, 40 TBR R/C, 49 TBR R/C, 09 TBR R/C, and 06 BR.

I think my Fox 74 is a ringed engine. It seems to run fine as a diesel. I have another glow 74. Not sure if it is ABC or ringed.

This diesel thing is a disease. One I happily admit to be infected by.

If you change your mind about selling the MVVS 10CC, I am your guy. As you know they are discontinued and hard to find.

Dan
Old 04-04-2020, 07:22 PM
fiery
My Feedback: (2)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I have both the MVVS .61D and even rarer MVVS .40D

Both are fine engines for a specific purpose, being duration work. They produce far more power than the equivalent displacement PAW diesels.

The MVVS .40 and .61 diesels can be adapted for R/C scale applications by knowledgeable operators.

Here is the .40 for those who have not seen one.

Old 04-05-2020, 04:39 AM
wheelerdan1324

Hi feiry,

I know your moniker from several boards. I have lots of diesel experience, fly them a lot in sport and semi scale (Cub, Rainbow) planes. Like all diesel-philes tinkering is in my blood.

As my post said, I want to buy one of those MVVS 10 cc R/C engines, but they are out of print and I have not found one for purchase yet. Are you selling yours?

I really enjoyed the video. Much more power (RPM) than my PAW TBR 40. At present I have at least 1 PAW in every crankcase they make, except the .055 R/C. The 19, 40, and 49 are my favorites. But they are not as powerful.

Still on the quest to purchase a 10 cc R/C if you know someone who is selling.

Nice to meet you.

Dan
Old 04-05-2020, 07:42 AM
RichardGee

Originally Posted by wheelerdan1324
Hi feiry,

I know your moniker from several boards. I have lots of diesel experience, fly them a lot in sport and semi scale (Cub, Rainbow) planes. Like all diesel-philes tinkering is in my blood.

As my post said, I want to buy one of those MVVS 10 cc R/C engines, but they are out of print and I have not found one for purchase yet. Are you selling yours?

I really enjoyed the video. Much more power (RPM) than my PAW TBR 40. At present I have at least 1 PAW in every crankcase they make, except the .055 R/C. The 19, 40, and 49 are my favorites. But they are not as powerful.

Still on the quest to purchase a 10 cc R/C if you know someone who is selling.

Nice to meet you.

Dan
Dan,
I sent you a PM
Old 04-06-2020, 01:59 AM
fiery

Here is an alternative to the MVVS .61, available from Weston UK and based upon the WEBRA speed .55 glow engine.

first run without muffler, very rich and carb. idle needle far from optimised:

Later run with muffler. Needles still need leaning out.

Last edited by fiery; 04-06-2020 at 02:01 AM.
Old 04-06-2020, 05:44 AM
wheelerdan1324

Wow! Thanks. I did not know about Weston. Looks like a nice option. What prop were ou using in your video.

BTW, I have been braking in my new PAW 40 TBR R/C per the Adrian Duncan procedure. First runs are with 30% castor slobbering rich with 100% cool down in between. 5 minute runs for a total of about 30 minutes. With a 12x6 prop first runs made 6000 rpm. Again just burnishing. Switched to 25% oil for a series of short heat, cool runs. Also switched to a 11 x 8 proper. She is now doing about 8700 RPM. This is still rich and under compressed, except for the peak-hot cycle. About to switch to 20% oil for the next set of hot-cool cycles. I have about 1 quart of fuel through it using a 2 oz tank to ensure hot-cold cycle time are respected. My guess is this engine might take 2-3 hours of progressive running in before it achieve a full break in. This engine is a beast. It might not make as high RPM, but it is a true torque monster. My other 40 TBR really likes a three bladed 12x7 prop for flying. It does about 9500. Surely that is about like a 90 four stroke.
Old 04-06-2020, 02:01 PM
fiery

Default Paw .40 TBR

PAW put a little magic in some of the engines in their range.

The smallest - the PAW 55 is a ‘mighty mouse’ of an engine, with a lion’s heart, while well mannered to use.

The PAW .40 TBR is by far the best of the best of the ‘big’ PAW’s. Smooth, easy starting, powerful and tractable, Paul Eifflaender deserves praise for the design of these engines.

An Irvine .25 R/C JetStream carb (UK made) works really well on my PAW .40 which admittedly was blueprinted by the factory, and originally sold for C/L use with only a venturi intake tube.

Last edited by fiery; 04-06-2020 at 02:23 PM.
Old 04-06-2020, 04:06 PM
erik58
My Feedback: (4)

I have one too,love it I crashed mine and bent the crankshaft hope I can find one