Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Cars, Buggies, Trucks, Tanks and more > RC Tanks
Reload this Page >

Haya 1/16 Chieftain Pro Version Arrived

Community
Search
Notices
RC Tanks Discuss all aspects of rc tank building and driving here!

Haya 1/16 Chieftain Pro Version Arrived

Search this Thread

Old 11-11-2019, 03:15 PM
tankme

Received 207 Likes on 169 Posts
Default Haya 1/16 Chieftain Pro Version Arrived

Well it arrived today...charging the battery now. Arrived safe and sound with no broken parts. Not one HL label anywhere on it...

Right out of the box.

Stock transmitter.

Barrel is actually 3 pieces. Comes with extra material and covers.

Crewman

Front showing metal adjustable idler.

Rear

Inside shot

Size comparison to an Abrams

Size comparison to an Abrams...cont.
Old 11-11-2019, 03:53 PM
Panther F

Received 41 Likes on 38 Posts
Thumbs up

Wow, does that look great or what! Especially side-by-side with the Abrams. Thanks for the pics and I really like the detachable barrel idea.
Old 11-11-2019, 04:31 PM
afv aficionado

Received 78 Likes on 55 Posts

Hi Tankme
Looks really good. Gun crutch looks to be the early pattern & some detail could be added to the telephone box.
Are those zinc gears or steel? Tracks will need toning down.

Mal
Old 11-11-2019, 09:05 PM
tankme

A magnet sticks to the gears so they seem to be steel even though they aren't the typical black steel gears we are used to.
Old 11-12-2019, 04:00 AM
Wozwasnt

Received 8 Likes on 5 Posts

It says " Metal steel gearbox & metal tracks ( for pro version ) " on the website.
Old 11-12-2019, 06:15 AM
Crius

Received 313 Likes on 259 Posts

Looks good, TM. I especially like the crew. But I still don't like the price, so tell me honestly, do you really think this tank is worth that much money? I know it takes a lot to bring a new tank the market and all that, so I'm wondering how someone who has actually bought one now feels about the price. And you're right that HL had nothing to do with this. I was told by an Insider that one of the big reasons to keep HL out of a new tank project is because they tend to steal intellectual property and clone it for their own profit. Of course, that seems to be the Chinese National Anthem so I guess it's nothing new.
Old 11-12-2019, 08:11 AM
jim2955

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

That looks great . Do you mind if I ask what Tank Control Unit is in it ? Is it a completely new design or did they use another company's ?
Old 11-12-2019, 09:27 AM
Crius

They're using the latest Electronics from HL.
Old 11-12-2019, 09:32 AM
Wozwasnt

Originally Posted by jim2955
That looks great . Do you mind if I ask what Tank Control Unit is in it ? Is it a completely new design or did they use another company's ?
It's the same as the HengLong V6.1. I think Andrew thought it was a new design for HAYA but "China".
Old 11-12-2019, 10:04 AM
Wozwasnt

Originally Posted by Crius
Looks good, TM. I especially like the crew. But I still don't like the price, so tell me honestly, do you really think this tank is worth that much money? I know it takes a lot to bring a new tank the market and all that, so I'm wondering how someone who has actually bought one now feels about the price. And you're right that HL had nothing to do with this. I was told by an Insider that one of the big reasons to keep HL out of a new tank project is because they tend to steal intellectual property and clone it for their own profit. Of course, that seems to be the Chinese National Anthem so I guess it's nothing new.
It is a limited run so if you love UK cold war MBT's then it's worth it.

Compared to the other tanks on the HAYA website it is a very expensive Platinum version Heng Long (by over £150) but not as expensive as the M3 Lee (which is another limited run).

It's a lot better then my Tamiya King Tiger which costs a lot more new and needs a lot of upgrades to make it good.

Putting my Chieftain Fanboy self aside and the fact it is a limited run (I'm still buzzing about it). -
As a tank on it's own (bearing in mind I haven't run the nuts off it yet) it is pretty much the same as the latest Pro version Heng Longs which are less then half the price.

Chieftain Fanboy self - I'll be getting another one or two as I have a few conversions planned.
Old 11-12-2019, 10:05 AM
tankme

For most it might be a little high, but I went on an Ebay selling streak this summer. I had half of the money for the tank in my Paypal account when I bought it so technically I only paid for half of it. Been happy with what I see so far. Will run it later today. The control unit is similar to the HL v6.1 offering rebranded as a Haya unit. I don't think HL makes the electronics units. I'm sure it's a company that OEMs them to HL though.
Old 11-12-2019, 10:40 AM
afv aficionado

A magnet sticks to the gears so they seem to be steel even though they aren't the typical black steel gears we are used to.
It says " Metal steel gearbox & metal tracks ( for pro version ) " on the website.

Yep, it says that in the Ad blurb, but the pic looked like HL zinc gears, so just checking. Mine is on it's way to NZ

Mal
Old 11-12-2019, 11:53 PM
tomhugill

Received 23 Likes on 14 Posts

Originally Posted by afv aficionado

Yep, it says that in the Ad blurb, but the pic looked like HL zinc gears, so just checking. Mine is on it's way to NZ

Mal
​​​​​​Any of the steel gears forgebears stocked for the last 2 years have been unpainted same as whats in the chieftain
Old 11-13-2019, 12:50 AM
afv aficionado

Cool, haven't seen unpainted steel gears before - just have Taigen & HL painted versions

Mal
Old 11-13-2019, 09:18 AM
Tanque

Received 95 Likes on 82 Posts

Originally Posted by tankme
......I went on an Ebay selling streak this summer. I had half of the money for the tank in my Paypal account when I bought it so technically I only paid for half of it.............................
Ahhhhhhhhhh the unmistakable logic of a truly bonkers committed hobby person. I've used this so many times myself. There's no end to what one can accomplish
when using this logic- immaterial that what we sold was something we paid for with real dough. Once purchased a hobby 'thing' no longer represents mere money;
it transcends that mundane beginning. It now represents a totally different level of value.

Just admit it folks, we want what we want!

Jerry
Old 11-13-2019, 09:31 AM
tankme

After helping my mother clean out my grandfather's house after he passed, I have a whole new look on "stuff". He kinda became a hoarder in his final years. If something sits around for a couple of years and I haven't used it then it gets sold. The money had been spent, but after making it back spending it again is far less difficult. I mean you already spent it once...what's the harm in spending it again? Still have a lot of "stuff" to get rid of. I had three HP-UX workstations I used to use for my personal use. One of them was pretty old (mid-90s vintage). Someone paid me $750 for a 132Mhz machine I got for free and couldn't give away a few years ago. The newer and faster the machine, the less I got for it, but they all sold. Still in the process of selling off the rest of my SCSI cables and peripherals. One man's junk...

My ex-wife once told me I had to many pistols. I sold two of the pistols and bought two rifles. Simple fix...lol.
Old 11-13-2019, 11:02 AM
Crius

Matomart is also selling this tank. Makes me wonder if they're selling it for Haya, or if the Chinese have already cloned it.
Old 11-13-2019, 11:38 AM
tankme

Seeing as they match the Haya part numbers and the box shows Haya's logo I would assume that Haya sold them a shipment of them. And both are more expensive than the pre-order was.

Last edited by tankme; 11-13-2019 at 11:47 AM.
Old 11-13-2019, 11:57 AM
Tanque

Received 95 Likes on 82 Posts

After helping my mother clean out my grandfather's house after he passed, I have a whole new look on "stuff". He kinda became a hoarder in his final years. If something sits around for a couple of years and I haven't used it then it gets sold. The money had been spent, but after making it back spending it again is far less difficult. I mean you already spent it once...what's the harm in spending it again? Still have a lot of "stuff" to get rid of. I had three HP-UX workstations I used to use for my personal use. One of them was pretty old (mid-90s vintage). Someone paid me $750 for a 132Mhz machine I got for free and couldn't give away a few years ago. The newer and faster the machine, the less I got for it, but they all sold. Still in the process of selling off the rest of my SCSI cables and peripherals. One man's junk...

My ex-wife once told me I had to many pistols. I sold two of the pistols and bought two rifles. Simple fix...lol.
Yeah... see on that criteria of no use in 2 years thing never worked for me. Since most all of my projects are really long term if I applied that I'd not have anything left.
Heck it takes me at least 2 years to decide what I want to do for the project I am working on...

Jerry
Old 11-13-2019, 12:34 PM
tankme

Originally Posted by Tanque
Yeah... see on that criteria of no use in 2 years thing never worked for me. Since most all of my projects are really long term if I applied that I'd not have anything left.
Heck it takes me at least 2 years to decide what I want to do for the project I am working on...

Jerry
My tanks are excluded from the two year rule...err "guideline"...
Old 11-13-2019, 11:22 PM
borealis

Received 17 Likes on 15 Posts

I like it, cool tank.
Old 11-14-2019, 08:20 AM
tankme

With the new electronics in it, the slow speed control is very good also.
Old 11-14-2019, 11:34 AM
Fsttanks

Received 251 Likes on 148 Posts

With the new electronics in it, the slow speed control is very good also.
People are finding, myself included that the new electronics work even better when paired with upgrade 390 motors for low to medium speed control. More torque for high friction surfaces, yet just as easy if not easier to drive slowly as the stock 380 motors makes for rather smooth handling especially in the more modern larger tanks.The electronics HAYA selected to put their label on are indeed decent for an RTR tank and pretty versatile.

Last edited by Fsttanks; 11-14-2019 at 12:38 PM.
Old 11-14-2019, 01:47 PM
tankme

I know I said I wouldn't be diving into this one anytime soon, but I do have some of the new HL sealed gearboxes with 390 motors that came out of the Abrams chassis that would fit. I do think the tank is a little slower than it should be. My Abrams is going to use the other type of sealed gearboxes with 540 motors. The shaft length on the Chieftain is the same as the HL Abrams.
Old 11-21-2019, 10:18 PM
RichJohnson

Received 374 Likes on 238 Posts

Can somebody measure the width of the metal track on their chiefton for me?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.