Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > RC Jets
Reload this Page >

CARF Ultra Flash Evo build thread +

Community
Search
Notices
RC Jets Discuss RC jets in this forum plus rc turbines and ducted fan power systems

CARF Ultra Flash Evo build thread +

Search this Thread

Old 06-02-2022, 01:01 AM
paulhat

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

I glued an exacto blade onto a servo arm.. same same I guess
Old 06-19-2022, 05:37 PM
jvaliensi
My Feedback: (1)

Received 113 Likes on 91 Posts

HI,
The flap linkage connection makes me think CARF has an evil streak in them. I initially thought putting the arm and linkage on the servo was the way to go. But that makes impossible to attached the balling to the flap control horn. It has to go with the push rod connected to the flap 1st, then connect it to the servo arm as you lower the cover with the two servos in place. Adjustments are not possible once the cover is anchored down. It took me three days to figure the sequence out.

How to folks attached the gear door to the main gear legs?
Old 06-20-2022, 12:00 AM
737Driver

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

The gear doors to the gear legs can be attached with a small piece of wood between the leg strut and the door piece. I use E6000, works like a champ, haven’t lost a door yet! Make sure the door is flush with the wing skin, I suppose it’s possible to have the slip stream come between the door and the wing skin and rip the door off in flight at high speed. I’ll post a picture to show you how I do it
Old 06-20-2022, 12:03 AM
737Driver

Hey fellow UF builders that have the saddle tanks installed, this is my 1st build with saddle tanks and I was wondering how ya’ll vent the tanks overboard? The setup is fuse tank, two saddles and wing tank. The wing tank will be smoke. Thank you!!

Tom

Old 06-20-2022, 05:11 AM
acw

Received 25 Likes on 17 Posts

Hello everyone. Getting back into the hobby and building an Ultra Flash EVO. I'm too lazy to build cockpit details and considering painting the canopy from inside. I have never done this and was wondering what are the do and don't for this. I ordered some RC car body paint.

Some of you have some very nice paint finish on your painted canopies. How did you do it?

Thanks

Arnaud
Old 06-20-2022, 05:53 AM
jvaliensi

Hi,
I paint all my canopies from the inside. Tamiya polycarbonate paint is very good, especially if you are a lazy as I am.
Here are the steps I follow:
1. Glue canopy in frame.
2. After the glue cures, wash the inside of the canopy, the paint will not stick to finger prints or mold release. I use soapy water than follow up with alcohol.
3. Some people will sand the inside of the canopy with very fine sand paper to give the paint something to bite on, I generally do not.
4. Mask everywhere you don't want paint
5. Dust the first coat on. You have warm it up with a hair dryer to get it to dry fast, just don't over do it
6. Give it another coat or two.
7. If you are using colors other than black or silver, a final coat of silver under metallics looks good, and black helps other colors be more solid.

I screwed up the canopy for my Ultra Flash. I thought I would do a black fade to silver. But it looked bad. So I tried to sand off the paint to redo it all black. That is way harder to do than I imagined. The paint really bonds with the plastic. So, now I have a most black canopy with ugly silver streaks.
I'm going to wrap it with vinyl, then it will look perfect.
I once had to buy a canopy from CARF, they charge $59 and $60+ for shipping. It's ridiculous, they don't even use Lexan or a protective sheet. Unless its damaged, I'll live with a whole lot of ugly.

Originally Posted by acw
Hello everyone. Getting back into the hobby and building an Ultra Flash EVO. I'm too lazy to build cockpit details and considering painting the canopy from inside. I have never done this and was wondering what are the do and don't for this. I ordered some RC car body paint.

Some of you have some very nice paint finish on your painted canopies. How did you do it?

Thanks

Arnaud
The following users liked this post:
acw (06-20-2022)
Old 06-20-2022, 07:35 AM
Redaxis

Originally Posted by jvaliensi
Hi,
I paint all my canopies from the inside. Tamiya polycarbonate paint is very good, especially if you are a lazy as I am.
1. Glue canopy in frame.
2. After the glue cures, wash the inside of the canopy, the paint will not stick to finger prints or mold release. I use soapy water than follow up with alcohol.
3. Some people will sand the inside of the canopy with very fine sand paper to give the paint something to bite on, I generally do not.
5. Dust the first coat on. You have warm it up with a hair dryer to get it to dry fast, just don't over do it
7. If you are using colors other than black or silver, a final coat of silver under metallics looks good, and black helps other colors be more solid.

I screwed up the canopy for my Ultra Flash. I thought I would do a black fade to silver. But it looked bad. So I tried to sand off the paint to redo it all black. That is way harder to do than I imagined. The paint really bonds with the plastic. So, now I have a most black canopy with ugly silver streaks.
I once had to buy a canopy from CARF, they charge $59 and $60+ for shipping. It's ridiculous, they don't even use Lexan or a protective sheet. Unless its damaged, I'll live with a whole lot of ugly.
Why don't you just paint this canopy on the outside if you have messed up the inside?
Old 06-20-2022, 08:01 AM
jvaliensi

Hi,
While painting it on the exterior is an option, I prefer the vinyl wrap option, because:
1. The polycarbonate paint does not dry with a gloss finish - canopies look good because they are painted on the inside and the exterior of the plastic provides the shine.
2. The paint would be easily scratched up.
3. Vinyl can be removed and replaced. I could have different color and replace it if it got nicked.
4. No masking tape for careful lines is needed w/ vinyl.
Old 06-20-2022, 08:38 AM
AEROSHELDON
My Feedback: (99)

Received 81 Likes on 65 Posts

How will you get vinyl to apply to such a curved surface?
Old 06-20-2022, 08:41 AM
jvaliensi

I will use a combination of heat and stretching. Some people could wrap a golf ball!
AEROSHELDON (06-20-2022)
Old 06-20-2022, 09:09 AM
camss69
My Feedback: (46)

Received 69 Likes on 55 Posts

I will use a combination of heat and stretching. Some people could wrap a golf ball!
Post some pics when you’re done, would love to see how it comes out.
Old 06-20-2022, 09:56 AM
Dave Wilshere

Received 737 Likes on 532 Posts

Originally Posted by 737Driver
Hey fellow UF builders that have the saddle tanks installed, this is my 1st build with saddle tanks and I was wondering how ya’ll vent the tanks overboard? The setup is fuse tank, two saddles and wing tank. The wing tank will be smoke. Thank you!!

Tom
T two feeds and overflow from saddles. Single feed from saddles goes to fuse tank overflow. Saddles overflow single line out of fuse bottom

Dave
Old 06-20-2022, 10:02 AM
acw

Thank you! This is very helpful.

Hi,
1. Glue canopy in frame.

Old 06-20-2022, 10:06 AM
camss69

I’m going to try to do the cockpit on mine… Dave what method do you use to secure the tubs up into the canopy?
Old 06-20-2022, 11:01 AM
jvaliensi

Watch Ramy RC do it. He's a real pro.

Old 06-20-2022, 01:20 PM
Dave Wilshere

Originally Posted by camss69
I’m going to try to do the cockpit on mine… Dave what method do you use to secure the tubs up into the canopy?
Spots of silicon sealer/glue from underneath, they are easy to cut if you have to remove

Dave
Old 06-20-2022, 07:36 PM
acw

Good progress this weekend. I attached and trimmed the exhaust nozzle just like we use to with the classic flash. The Jetcat P130 fits very easily. I CNC'd some rails from some 4mm carbon fiber plate and then later added some 2mm shims from the same material to raise the turbine slightly.

To install the CMJets kevlar tank, I had to remove the piece of wood used to retain the stock tank. I replaced it with a piece of CF in front of the tank.

Can't wait to get the servos!

Arnaud

Old 06-20-2022, 08:06 PM
jvaliensi

I just spilled zap on the top of my wing. I'm the reason I cannot have nice stuff
My hands used to work better, now they betray me...
At least I didn't glue my arm to it.
Old 06-20-2022, 08:35 PM
camss69

I just spilled zap on the top of my wing. I'm the reason I cannot have nice stuff
My hands used to work better, now they betray me...
At least I didn't glue my arm to it.
Noooooo!!!! Oh man that sucks…

But I did laugh about you not gluing your arm to it…
Old 06-21-2022, 04:38 AM
jvaliensi

I put some stickers on it. I don't think I could make it better with touch up paint. Only way would be to hire professional painter and I don't know any.
I will end up beating the **** out of the airplane anyways.
Old 06-21-2022, 05:10 AM
Dave Wilshere

CA remover…

Weston U.K. offer it here.
Not sure if you can get it there.

Old 06-21-2022, 05:26 AM
jvaliensi

I tried to wipe it off immediately with a cotton swap with acetone. That picked it up but left a smeared coat. Then I tried a little debonder, that eats the paint (FYI). So, the wing needs touch up paint. CARF sells the paint but they don't list the colors that they told me it was painted as. I asked my rep to get some for me.
I need a painter. Please let me know if anyone knows a good one in the Los Angeles area.

I find no joy in the build process any more. This is an easy airplane to build, yet it is a major struggle for me. My next airplanes will be bought complete.
Old 06-23-2022, 04:35 PM
jvaliensi

Progress photos
acw (06-23-2022)
Old 06-23-2022, 09:05 PM
acw

Very nice work! @jvaliensi how did you attach the gear doors to the main struts?
Old 06-24-2022, 04:56 AM
jvaliensi

Hi,
I made a shaped block of wood and stuck it to the gear legs and doors with epoxy.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.