Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > RC Jets
Reload this Page >

Aviation Design Diamond Build by Ultimate Jets

Notices
RC Jets Discuss RC jets in this forum plus rc turbines and ducted fan power systems

Aviation Design Diamond Build by Ultimate Jets

Old 01-11-2015, 04:13 AM
Springbok Flyer

Received 26 Likes on 24 Posts

Hi Steve,

One of the reasons I only install with fully ducted and bypass setup's. In fact, if a model cannot be installed like that, I will not buy it.

Good luck, hope you sort out the suction problem - will be good to see it in the air at SMF.

Cheers,

Jan.
Old 01-11-2015, 04:34 AM
marc s

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I agree with a full bypass in these sorts of sport jet, even with big scale ones as seen with SG Hawks etc.

marcs
Old 01-14-2015, 03:33 AM
melvin
My Feedback: (3)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

How do they install a hardwood block in an aileron that is totally enclosed? Jusr curious!!
Old 01-14-2015, 04:32 AM
number27

Make an access hole/slot in the front of the Aileron and shape a hard balsa block to size and insert and some hysol. Same had to be done for the Flaps, Elevator and Rudder.
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_2390.JPG
Views:	1892
Size:	1.46 MB
ID:	2063676   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_2396.JPG
Views:	1919
Size:	1.22 MB
ID:	2063678   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_2397.JPG
Views:	2009
Size:	2.03 MB
ID:	2063680  
Old 01-14-2015, 05:49 AM
Springbok Flyer

......or you just do the old sponge trick!

Cut the slot for the horn, then push some thin sponge through it and shape a pocket for the horn between the two surfaces. Squeeze some Hysol into the space you've created, push the horn into that ....and let it dry.

In fact I prefer to do this as you never know when you cut the slot into wood inside the structure...if there actually is any decent amount of wood on both sides of the slot......you may be right on the edge!?!?....of whatever wood the manufacturer has put in.

Just my 2c

Cheers,

Jan
Old 01-14-2015, 07:05 AM
marc s

You can also apply Gorilla glue (polyurethane glue) using the sponge method too, it you make the sponge slightly moist before pushing it into the wing it helps the cure and spread as this glue is set off by moisture. Sets rock hard and as its a foaming glue fills voids etc too.

marcs
Old 01-14-2015, 10:52 AM
olnico

Received 15 Likes on 9 Posts

Nice trick guys! I willl try the sponge method on the next one.
What I was doing up to now, was to insert two thin hard wood slices through a slightly wider horn slot. One on each side of the horn and glue everything with Hysol E-20HP.
Old 01-14-2015, 11:16 AM
DENTO

Have to say Jan this is the way I also do it very simple
REGARDS
Originally Posted by Springbok Flyer
......or you just do the old sponge trick!

Cut the slot for the horn, then push some thin sponge through it and shape a pocket for the horn between the two surfaces. Squeeze some Hysol into the space you've created, push the horn into that ....and let it dry.

In fact I prefer to do this as you never know when you cut the slot into wood inside the structure...if there actually is any decent amount of wood on both sides of the slot......you may be right on the edge!?!?....of whatever wood the manufacturer has put in.

Just my 2c

Cheers,

Jan
Old 01-14-2015, 11:16 AM
number27

Slots are already pre-cut for you and to get sponge in there you have to widen the slots up some more. No hard blocks installed in any surface. Each to their own, there is no one way to do or right way. Many options go with what you feel comfortable with.
Old 01-14-2015, 02:58 PM
Springbok Flyer

Originally Posted by number27
Each to their own, there is no one way to do or right way. Many options go with what you feel comfortable with.
Absolutey, I completely agree with you.
Old 01-14-2015, 03:00 PM
Springbok Flyer

Originally Posted by marc s
You can also apply Gorilla glue (polyurethane glue) using the sponge method too, it you make the sponge slightly moist before pushing it into the wing it helps the cure and spread as this glue is set off by moisture. Sets rock hard and as its a foaming glue fills voids etc too.

marcs
Hi Marc,

I like the idea of using such a glue - must have a look to see if we have it around here.

Cheers,

Jan
Old 01-14-2015, 06:19 PM
DENTO

B For BUNNINGS Jan
REGARDS
Hi Marc,

I like the idea of using such a glue - must have a look to see if we have it around here.

Cheers,

Jan
Old 01-14-2015, 09:03 PM
melvin
My Feedback: (3)

I'm not an engineer or anything but it seems to me that if a turbine is sucking in canopys and the side of the fuselage than the turbine is gasping for more air! I would think that trying to add stiffness to components to prevent them from sucking down is not the cure. Somehow air needs to be able to enter the air frame to prevent this from happening. If the Diamond doesn't come with the chutes that direct the air to the turbine i think i would form some out of fiberglass and install them myself. I may be talking out of turn because it's been a long time since i seen one of these jets in person so i really don't know if there is room for an air duct. Just a thought!! I came really close to purchasing one of these kits a while back but i'm kinda glad i dtdn't since their seems to be a few issues that need to be resolved
Old 01-14-2015, 09:42 PM
jetpilot
My Feedback: (48)

Received 8 Likes on 5 Posts

Actually the turbine is drawing air from wherever possible, and whatever is easiest area. the inlets are small and long. probably not the easiest. there is a firewall that opens to the inside of the fuse from the turbine. I think simply closing off the firewall will solve the issue. then the turbine will only draw air from the inlets.
I opened a hole in my nose gear area and it worked well enough for me. My next thought was the closing off firewall, but doesn't appear i need to.
Scott
Old 01-14-2015, 10:29 PM
number27

As I had not received the manual with the kit I put forward the question to the designer of "The Diamond" and my supplier "Intairco" of the issue I had with the fuse/canopy being sucked in.

Problem has been resolved.

"The Diamond's" inlets were only designed for 19kg turbines this is from ADJets (Eric RANTET). If you run a larger turbine modifications need to be made as per their manual (which I did not have until recently). These modifications do not appear in an alternate assembly manual which I was using (silly me). ADJets even supply a template to make things even easier for you to make the modifications.

The fuselage needs to be modified (pics attached) and the nose-gear box also if desired. I have places 3 x 25mm holes and 1 x 50mm hole in the nose-gear box.

I have made other modifications with advice from persons with more experience than I in jets and design.

Along with ADJets modifications a NACA duct (3d printed) will be inserted in front of the main firewall and duct-work has been cut back and ply floor modded to allow the insertion of the NACA (not received yet, next week).

A full WOT test was done today without the NACA and all is good now. The NACA will assist with better airflow management on the ground and in the air. Again I am no EXPERT and am guided by those who have the knowledge.

I thank those involved and the maiden flight will go as planned this Saturday. Technical inspection was passed today. Flight test on Saturday.

The model has presence and is the only one currently in Australia to date. It is something different it is OUT there.

Name:	IMG_2539.jpg
Views:	186
Size:	1.07 MB
ID:	2063901   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_2537.jpg
Views:	166
Size:	1.40 MB
ID:	2063902   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_2545.jpg
Views:	160
Size:	173.4 KB
ID:	2063903   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_2544.jpg
Views:	186
Size:	193.4 KB
ID:	2063904   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_2526.jpg
Views:	266
Size:	1.13 MB
ID:	2063905  
Old 01-15-2015, 03:35 AM
number27

Ready to rock n roll.

Weight 20.25kg. Had to add 200 grams lead in nose.

C of G was calculated @ 285mm from leading edge along wing root. ADJets manual has C of G @ 645mm along leading edge of wing. I then straight edge back to wing root to obtain CG along wing root. Have set CG @ 280mm for first flight.

R2D2 and C3PO along for the ride hopefully they will keep Diamond safe from harm.

Name:	IMG_2547.jpg
Views:	316
Size:	1.43 MB
ID:	2063920   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_2548.jpg
Views:	289
Size:	1.70 MB
ID:	2063921   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_2549.jpg
Views:	243
Size:	1.46 MB
ID:	2063922   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_2551.jpg
Views:	214
Size:	1.29 MB
ID:	2063923   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_2554.jpg
Views:	241
Size:	1.54 MB
ID:	2063924  
Old 01-15-2015, 04:12 AM
Springbok Flyer

Oh boy....that thing is doing 400 km/h standing still......
Old 01-17-2015, 02:15 AM
number27

What an awesome flying jet. Maiden today was uneventful. Editing video for upload (bit shaky) later. Drops nose upon stall. No bad habits after six flights so far. iGyro turned on on 2nd flight, no issues there either. Appears quick on landing but slows and floats to a landing. No elevator/flap mix for landing needed. CG was @ 300mm (recommended 312mm) from leading edge of wing. 200 gms taken out of nose and batteries moved back in nose as aft as possible after adjustment of initial CG as a revision was received by ADJets. Has all the elevator authority you need on landing. May even move CG back as I get used to it more. Inverted slight use of down elevator.

Very impressed and can't understand why not many USA folks have endeavored down this path. Congratulations to Aviation Design and its designer.

My only disappointment is manufacturers need to put hard points in all surfaces. Makes our life easier for what we pay for.
Old 01-17-2015, 02:54 PM
Springbok Flyer

Originally Posted by number27
My only disappointment is manufacturers need to put hard points in all surfaces. Makes our life easier for what we pay for.
Steve,

Congratulations with your (many) initial flights - everyone have been looking forward to see it fly and I'm sure the OOO's and AAA's will continue for some time to come.

Cannot agree with you more about the hard points. It goes beyond comprehension why they don't put it in and when they do, why they don't put in a decent section of it either. HOW HARD CAN IT BE TO DO PROPERLY??? At the moment I am busy doing a Skymaster Viper and it has exactly the same problem - very frustrating indeed.

Cheers,

Jan
Old 01-17-2015, 08:38 PM
number27

Five more flights on "The Diamond" today and raised the iGyro gain points by 8 for aileron and 4 for elevator. Flys on rails. Will up some more gain by 4 on each. A Little at a time. More video today hopefully better results. Wind today 5-10lnots nothing eysterday. Made landing a breeze. Nose down flare and touchdown like a hand into a velvet glove.

Now have to wait until next weekend for more time with my Diamond.

http://youtu.be/5_k7zl9jbLk

Last edited by number27; 01-17-2015 at 11:58 PM.
Old 01-18-2015, 01:16 AM
Jeremy_D

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Nice flying Steve! It looks great in the air. Congratulations.
Old 01-18-2015, 02:28 AM
DENTO

Originally Posted by Jeremy_D
Nice flying Steve! It looks great in the air. Congratulations.
Tell you what Jeremy It's some AWESOME JETand nice flying had the Priveilage of seeing the MAIDEN and mind you any one who goes through 20LT every time he flys has got be good LOL
Old 01-18-2015, 04:21 AM
Springbok Flyer

.....now you just need to get your camera person to stop being nervous......LOL
Old 01-18-2015, 06:54 AM
DENTO

.....now you just need to get your camera person to stop being nervous......LOL
Well there not all experts But under the circumstances I think he done a prity good job
Old 02-02-2015, 02:59 PM
Olafsson

Hi Guys
I will soon start to build the NO:13 , I will put in a HAWK 240, that is about 24-25kg of thrust , I will have a sort of ducted system as have made a own set of ribs and turbine mount for the Diamond/ Hawk combination installed at the factory.
The problems with suckīt in canopies is mainly caused by to big exhaust tube , I will have a 65mm tube in mine.
The original tube is too large and the plane would have to fly over 550km/h in order to get enough air through those relative small air intakes at full thrust. So we decided to set up the system for about 250km/ h under that speed I will have under pressure and over I will get over pressure in the fuselage.
Generally in all kit there are the supplied tubes that are too big and that is cousin the tubes running hot. To large pipe is a hot pipe, as the tube creates a under pressure in the fuse that is actually making the air close the pipe walls flowing back in worst case so all the cooling of the pipe is lost, hot pipe with under pressure can actually implode in worst case.

Good pipe with right diameter should work with nice venture effect so cold air is sucked in the tube by the flow of the turbine exhaust an the air is running along the wall and cools down the pipe wall, all mine pipes is usually light brown in the rear part with light oily surface on the inside , I run all pipes single wall, newer had a problem with heat. The only guy in the Turbine business the know what he is doing is Carl at Hawk Turbine, all the others is only guessing and finding excuses when it is not working!. Thatīs why their turbines take 100% more fuel under a flight than the Hawk Turbine!
He is calculating tube size for me , depending on, how big air intakes, what optimal speed we want and what turbine is the the plane.
All scale jets with turbo fan engines have large air-intakes and the problem is not too big but old jets and some special ones like this Diamond have small intakes and the "regular" tubes used is totally wrong and you get big problems.

Iīm also friend with the Marcel , that is the owner of the company that is producing the kit in Czech rep. I will let him know what I dinīt like , but if you you suggestions let me know I will try to forward them to the source.

Best regards
Tomas
www.hab.se

Name:	2014-06-14 00.55.19.jpg
Views:	2481
Size:	705.0 KB
ID:	2069852   Click image for larger version

Name:	2014-08-07 19.25.02.jpg
Views:	2750
Size:	784.2 KB
ID:	2069853   Click image for larger version

Name:	2014-08-07 19.25.55.jpg
Views:	2499
Size:	583.9 KB
ID:	2069854   Click image for larger version

Name:	2014-08-07 19.27.06.jpg
Views:	2489
Size:	489.4 KB
ID:	2069855  

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.