Notices
Gas Engines Questions or comments about gas engines can be posted here

Saito's New Engine: FG-90R3

Old 01-30-2017, 10:37 PM
the pope

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

holy smoke I wouldnt use a test stand made out of particle board on a 10 size engine let alone one this big . Once it gets oil soaked it will turn to mush .
Old 02-01-2017, 08:52 AM
raptormasque

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Dear Jeff,

Thank you very much for your helpful and constructive advice.

Alain
Old 02-02-2017, 06:35 AM
n8622t
My Feedback: (8)

Received 40 Likes on 36 Posts

It doesn't sound like the intake is any different from the 84cc. Does anyone have run temps on the cylinders to show us?
Old 02-02-2017, 06:44 AM
ClausBN

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Its a radial engine - it will never be the same
Old 02-02-2017, 07:30 PM
hyltaiwan

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

FG90R3 seems run much better than FG84R3. But I didn't make a record on temperature.
I started the break in Nov. last year and I had some other project on hand so I didn't complete it yet.
Old 02-03-2017, 12:21 PM
n8622t

Well the 84 had different temps on each cylinder with the top cylinder being coldest. Hope the 90 doesn't have the same issue...bummer
Old 02-03-2017, 12:43 PM
ClausBN

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by n8622t
Well the 84 had different temps on each cylinder with the top cylinder being coldest. Hope the 90 doesn't have the same issue...bummer
...with the top cylinder being HOTTEST
;-)
Old 02-06-2017, 05:49 AM
n8622t

Thanks ClausBN.....that's what she said
Old 02-06-2017, 08:28 PM
AKA2

Hi MikeJM, I´m too interested in this combo (Saito-Zero).Did you manage to install it wthout any mods? Inside the cowl measures 9.5" and the outside Saito´s diameter, the same???
Old 02-11-2017, 03:50 AM
orthobird
My Feedback: (1)

Received 35 Likes on 30 Posts

I just saw this motor listed and love it. Anyone have any negative comments to warn me, before I purchase one? My first and only gas Saito was the FG 36, and this motor was so reliable. I had it in 3 different airplanes, and then sold it. And for real cheap. I wish I had never sold it. The power of the FG 36 was so low, compared to the DA 35, and it was last on an aerobatic airplane, swinging an 18 x 8 prop. I have since put the DA 35 in her, and it swings a 20 x 8 prop, and it is crazy power. Anyways, the sound is what I am after.

I have a 91" aerobatic airplane, it is a yak, with a DA 70, and was thinking this 90 cc radial would sound real real nice. I know it will not have the power of the 70, but should be a real sweet sounding airplane at the field. Now, my da 70 will swing a 24 x 10 or a 25 x 8 prop.

What size prop have you guys used with the radial?
Reason I ask is that the FG 36 manual, recommended props, did not appear realistic to me at all, the best was with an 18 x 8.
SO I was wondering what you all were using and liked.
Old 02-12-2017, 05:04 AM
kevarc
My Feedback: (2)

Well Crap!!
Started my engine yesterday for the first time.
Used 15:1 ethanol free fuel. and a 24x12 prop.
Primed it and after about 5 tries with the electric starter she fired off.
Let her run for several seconds then advanced the throttle to about 3/4.
She ran about 1-1/2 minutes then something broke! It did not seize up.
Talked to Horizon and sending it back.
I will post an update when I know what happened.
Old 02-12-2017, 05:28 AM
orthobird
My Feedback: (1)

Received 35 Likes on 30 Posts

Sorry to hear that. SO, can you turn the crankshaft? IF so, any sound that is unusual? May be that one of the pushrods came off the tappets. Easy to see if you remove the valve covers.
Old 02-12-2017, 09:21 AM
kevarc

I took the covers off an nothing noticeable. But a shake of the engine and something is rolling around inside.
The engine will turn over and feels smooth until it reaches a certain point then it gets rough.
It was running smooth and then got noisy. At first I thought it backfired.
Old 02-12-2017, 09:55 AM
raptormasque

Dear kevarc,

I have also sent my brand new engine back to my reseller.
After burning more than 3 liters, my FG90 was only still running on cylinder #1.
The cylinders #2 and #3 never got running and stayed cold.

I never seen such a behavior during my 40 years experience with many brands of engine.

See below the answer of Saito Japan given by my reseller !

Dear Sirs,

Good day!

Thank you for your e-mail.

We have also watched the video.
It is normal and not defective. Not only FG-90R3 but also all 3 cylinder engines are the same.
Usually the 3 cylinders do not run evenly from the beginning. And also each temperature of
the 3 cylinder do not rise evenly from the beginning. At the final adjustment of engine,
the 3 cylinders run evenly and rise in temperature evenly.

Would you, therefore, please run the Engine more than 1ℓ. And then, turn the main needle
CC(clockwise) to achieve peak. If the cylinder #3 still does not run after the procedure,
please replace the plug with new one.

We hope that this information will be helpful.

Best Regards,
Saito Seisakusho Co.,Ltd.
Best regards,

Alain disappointed with his first Saito engine
Old 02-12-2017, 09:57 AM
raptormasque

Dear kevarc,

I have also sent my brand new engine back to my reseller.
After burning more than 3 liters, my FG90 was only still running on cylinder #1.
The cylinders #2 and #3 never got running and stayed cold.

I never seen such a behavior during my 40 years experience with many brands of engine.

Alain disappointed with his first Saito engine
Old 02-12-2017, 10:06 AM
DHC6
My Feedback: (6)

Originally Posted by kevarc
I took the covers off an nothing noticeable. But a shake of the engine and something is rolling around inside.
The engine will turn over and feels smooth until it reaches a certain point then it gets rough.
It was running smooth and then got noisy. At first I thought it backfired.
just wondering what oil you were using?
Old 02-12-2017, 10:49 AM
n8622t

Not a good start...what are the valve settings and do any tools come with it?
Old 02-12-2017, 03:50 PM
DHC6
My Feedback: (6)

Doens't inspire confidence to go out and buy this engine....
Old 02-13-2017, 05:47 AM
kevarc

I am using LawnBoy with the green label. I had read somewhere on here the Lawnboy was good stuff?
I have run the same fuel in an FG60-r3 without any issues.
After much reading about the 83 I was planning on switching oils and going with the oil Ray English recommended after my current can was empty.

I made no adjustments to the valves. I ran it right out of the box, and it does come with the necessary tools.
Kevin
Old 02-13-2017, 06:27 AM
SWORDSN
My Feedback: (13)

Did you add any oil to the crankcase before starting the first time?This is a common must do on the 60 and 84 threads.
Old 02-13-2017, 06:31 AM
jws_aces
My Feedback: (33)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by kevarc
I am using LawnBoy with the green label. I had read somewhere on here the Lawnboy was good stuff?
I have run the same fuel in an FG60-r3 without any issues.
After much reading about the 83 I was planning on switching oils and going with the oil Ray English recommended after my current can was empty.

I made no adjustments to the valves. I ran it right out of the box, and it does come with the necessary tools.
Kevin
Kevin,

I had 2 84cc explode on Cool Power Oil that Ray told me I had to use. They were both on there 2nd flight when they popped. I witness 2 other stock motors on Klutz and Redline with over 100 flights on them with no issues (stock ) Redline is my choice now and I have over 3 gallons run thru mine. I have 2 Gallons of the Cool Power oil I am throwing away.

When my second motor went back to Ray after it exploded he question the oil I was using. I was using non alcohol gas with 15 to 1 of this cool power oil.
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	oil.jpg
Views:	6375
Size:	143.2 KB
ID:	2200844  
Old 02-13-2017, 06:35 AM
jws_aces

Originally Posted by SWORDSN
Did you add any oil to the crankcase before starting the first time?This is a common must do on the 60 and 84 threads.
When I broke in the stock motor I didn't add oil to the crankcase. I ran a tank on the ground on the plane and set the needles based on temps. I haven't had any issues since then.
Old 02-13-2017, 06:44 AM
jws_aces

The biggest differences I saw in the Ray mod engines and stock is the intake. The cylinders were closer on temps but that is where I feel like the problem lies. Most people lean it out too much once the see all the temps are close to even. The engine then overheats in the air. I found after studying the guys in the past and figured out that you have to richen the needles to achieve a close temp on the cylinders and that helps keep it cooler in the air. I have had some tell me that will end up being a problem. Um the only problem I had is blowing up leaned out motors.

I hope some of you will appreciate and take the advice that I didn't. I have over $2,800.00 in a stock motor. I am very happy with it.

That's Moki money. Yes I just started one of those. I hope I have a lot better success starting out. So far so good.

I am done here just offering my advice. I am wishing everyone great success.
Old 02-13-2017, 07:44 AM
ForcesR

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

Received my FG90R3 on Friday; I'm very impressed with the appearance and machining of external components. I was very curious to see the internal workings, so I removed the rear cover to have a looksee. The machined internal components are also impressive, but there is an obvious problem with "my engine" that my lead to a catastrophic problem if not corrected. The moving components, master rod, connecting rods at the connecting points are what I consider dry with very little sign of lubrication used during engine assembly. For anyone who has not run their engine for the first time, for goodness sake add lubricating oil to the crankcase before you even consider starting the engine for the break-in procedure!
Old 02-13-2017, 08:08 AM
jws_aces

Originally Posted by ForcesR
Received my FG90R3 on Friday; I'm very impressed with the appearance and machining of external components. I was very curious to see the internal workings, so I removed the rear cover to have a looksee. The machined internal components are also impressive, but there is an obvious problem with "my engine" that my lead to a catastrophic problem if not corrected. The moving components, master rod, connecting rods at the connecting points are what I consider dry with very little sign of lubrication used during engine assembly. For anyone who has not run their engine for the first time, for goodness sake add lubricating oil to the crankcase before you even consider starting the engine for the break-in procedure!
Please post pictures of the inside. I would like to see if Satio is adding the bushing to the main rod like the Ray English mod?

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.