Community
Search
Notices
Club 40 Discuss all Club 40 flying here.

Club 40 April Race

Search this Thread

Old 04-22-2024, 05:38 PM
elmshoot
My Feedback: (6)

Received 32 Likes on 28 Posts
Default Club 40 April Race

Our first race of 2024 happened last Saturday April 20. Two weeks ago we had standing water on the field, fortunately it drained quite well. Dave Poland (last years Bronze Champion) mowed the field for the first time this year. The grass was about as nice as we have had the pleasure of racing on. We set up pylons on Friday and we got some practice the day before the race.
This year we went to one class of racing using any plain bearing engine (BronzeClass) so the planes were only slightly lower performance than our silver racers and the search for the best propeller to use in the cool blustery conditions was on.
Rusty flying was the order of the day, At least one new race plane was in the mix so adjusting rates between rounds was going on.
After we got the rusty thumbs loosened up we enjoyed some close racing. Parity of speeds was evident and going into the next to the last race was decide with a photo finish at the finish line. Both racers had one cut so they both had to complete a 11th lap. Completing lap 10 Clint Seyer was in the lead and then Sparky, applying old age and cunning made a very tight turn on pylon #2 and with Clint hollering "your plane is faster than mine" nipped Clint by less than 2 plane lengths.

Results:
Tim Sparks 1:48 fast time
Clint Seyer 1:50 Tied for first but slower time
Matt Fornefeld
Tim Porter

As always we can’t race without assistance a big thank you to our field support
Roman
Enzo
Dave
Brayton
Ted
Eric

We look forward to seeing more pilots for our next two races, Saturday June 22 and August 17. If you are interested in joining in on the fun I have several used airframes and engines available. About as good of a deal as there is just get in touch and we can get you racing after a few nights shop work.
Then practice, practice, practice…….

Sparky